In November 1979 I sat backstage at the Lyceum Ballroom in London and helped to interview Buzzcocks (no definite article) for a friend's fanzine. My pals and I had shambolic conversations after the show with Steve Diggle and, less enthusiastically, Pete Shelley that were somehow stretched over two issues of said journal.
Shelley may be the songwriting genius, but I've long considered Diggle to be the engine room of the band - pushing, driving and cajoling - not to mention throwing a few shapes for all he's worth! That being said, over the years Steve Diggle has come up with a fair few little nuggets of his own.
Today is Diggle's 57th birthday and it's (unbelievably) 33 years since he was good enough to give some of his time to a bunch of ne'er-do-wells with a cheap cassette player and access to a photo-copier.
Happy birthday Steve - here's one of your nuggets.
Monday, 7 May 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Greatest Hits
-
Last week I took a bus over to the town I work in and walked home along country footpaths. I've done the jaunt before, more than once, b...
-
Somehow, don't ask me exactly how it happened, I seem to have reached the grand old age of 57. Last time I checked, I could've sw...
-
By way of a New Year's Resolution, a friend of mine pledged to read four books per month throughout the coming year. Another has set ...
-
Released 53 years ago today, 'Faust IV' was, remarkably, the band's third LP of 1973. I (along with many of my age group I suspe...
-
Yesterday evening saw the final ever Late Show with Stephen Colbert, following its cancellation by the CBS network. Colbert's tenure end...
3 comments:
Saw Buzzcocks about a month before you spoke to them. Joy Division were support. Amazing.
A 57-year-old Buzzcock?!! Oh it all seems a bit surreal!
Must've been a great experience for you. Do you still have the complete 'Strange Ways' fanzine?! Would love a little peek at some of the articles if you ever feel so inclined to share! (Also I knew someone from a band called the Straps for a while around that time, wonder if it was the same band?)
After further research (ie opening the fanzine & actually having a look at the dates!) I note that it was November 1980, not 1979, when I saw Buzzcocks at the Lyceum, which explains my memories of them performing later tunes, 'Why She's a Girl From a Chainstore' & the marvelous 'Are Everything' and of course why I have no memory of Joy Division supporting! Apologies for the poor research!
'Articles' is probably too structured a concept for what you'll find within Strange Ways stapled pages C, but i'll certainly try to get some images over to SDS Towers asap!
Post a Comment