Sunday, 16 February 2014
Courtney Barnett
'A Sea of Split Peas' compiles the first
two EPs by Australian singer/songwriter
Courtney Barnett. 'History Eraser', originally released on 'How to Carve a Carrot Into a Rose', the second of those EPs, seeped
into my consciousness late last year, before
totally winning my heart with the
song's final line, which namechecks a band very close to my heart. Courtney's lyrics are
conversational and the recordings themselves are equally direct, allegedly just three passes of each track were made, the best being selected for inclusion on the finished product. Barnett is apparently anxious to ensure that this collection is not misconstrued as her debut album, which
should follow later in 2014. Can't wait.
Check out 'A Sea of Split Peas' in full here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Greatest Hits
-
Last week I took a bus over to the town I work in and walked home along country footpaths. I've done the jaunt before, more than once, b...
-
Somehow, don't ask me exactly how it happened, I seem to have reached the grand old age of 57. Last time I checked, I could've sw...
-
By way of a New Year's Resolution, a friend of mine pledged to read four books per month throughout the coming year. Another has set ...
-
Released 53 years ago today, 'Faust IV' was, remarkably, the band's third LP of 1973. I (along with many of my age group I suspe...
-
Yesterday evening saw the final ever Late Show with Stephen Colbert, following its cancellation by the CBS network. Colbert's tenure end...
5 comments:
Absolutely excellent. I did vaguely become aware of her recently but didn't listen properly. Great lyrics, love her Aussie accent and the music is a groove. Both videos are fun, too. Triffids references can't be bad and Bob as umpire! Very nice indeed. Will be listening more.
Yes this is top stuff and great find TS...going to see if I can find some more...my appetite is wetted!
Glad you enjoyed the tunes guys, a link to the full double EP is beneath the vids Old Pa. Coincidentally Michael Gray also featured Courtney today, on his always excellent blog. Hopefully she's destined for great things.
I like that dood...that's good.
I don't really keep up any more so it's fun to hear something new...that's good like this.
Thank you sir...itunes thanks you.
It's really good Erik and keeps getting better with repeated plays. Enjoy!
Post a Comment