Tuesday, 18 March 2014

The Stooges

On Sunday evening, we caught the first show of Iggy Pop's 9 month DJ stint for 6Music. Iggy was on fine form throughout, in grizzled elder statesman mode and a long way from my initial introduction to the man and his band via The Stooges LP 'Raw Power'. In 1973 I dug deep into pocket money reserves to a secure copy of the album without having heard a note, based entirely on the Bowie connection and discovered that although I didn't know what the hell this music was, the dense onslaught of sound was utterly thrilling. At the same time, every article I read and photo I saw of the band frankly terrified me. I was 13 years old at the time and would subsequently meander through the highways and byways of Glam, Heavy Rock, Metal and Prog before reacquainting myself with exactly this kind of glorious racket towards the end of the 1970s.

Sadly, drummer Scott Asheton passed away on Saturday, thus leaving Iggy himself as the last original Stooge standing.

7 comments:

Erik Bartlam said...

I as Iggy Pop in 1990...me and this girl went. We were leaning on the stage. We would have to have been speakers to get any closer. Great...perfect...sweet...then he started stripping.

Aghhhh. My eyes! It burns...make it stop.

But what can you say about the stooges...or his own work...or bout the fact that he was a character on Pete and Pete? Just Brilliant.

The Swede said...

I saw Iggy live in '79 & '96 and I know what you mean about his penchant for getting his kit off! I saw him again at a talking event in 2010 - a fascinating and eloquent geezer.
Never heard of Pete & Pete - am I missing out on something?

Singing Bear said...

You were certainly a hip young dude, my man. I didn't get into The Stooges until punk pointed me their way. 'Raw Power' is amazing and so is just about everything else. Can't beat the whole 'Fun House' album, though.

C said...

Ditto SB... very much a latecomer, think I bought Raw Power in the mid 80s when working at the record shop!

(Thanks to Erik I just looked up Pete & Pete, blimey what an impressive list of cameos!)

The Swede said...

Haha. I've been called many things in my life, but hip young dude is, regrettably, not one of them! A few purchases from those early years do stick out as being a bit out of sync with the T.Rexier end of my collection. I put this down to the musically adventurous nature of a couple of close pals and the sheer number of record shops and market stalls in Walthamstow High Street at the time. I'm getting a bit misty eyed at the thought of 'em. Some kind of time travelling vehicle would be handy right now.

Erik Bartlam said...

Ostensibly Pete and Pete was a show for kids...early teens, middle schoolers, in the 90s. What it really was was one of the better family comifies ever. The writing was fantastic.

Two brothers named Pete...a mother with a metal plate in her head (that occasionally rang like a pay phone). Iggy was a neighborhood girl's daddy.

Old Pa's Corner said...

I did not get into IP like yourself through the Bowie factor....got all the early stuff there after....sadly i never saw him live....nice to see him cash in on these horrendous Tv adverts.

Greatest Hits