Last week, in a tiny subterranean bar, I
attended my third David Thomas Broughton
concert in five years. It was by turns funny,
scary, touching, confrontational and
beautiful, but above all it was, as always, a
unique experience. Part singer-songwriter,
part performance artist, Broughton treats his
songs as raw material, to be dissected and
reassembled at will, looping his voice, his
guitar and various electronic gizmos, while
incorporating any inanimate objects that come
to hand. He wanders off mic and off stage,
singing on the move, in the middle of the
audience, even from half way up the staircase
leading out of the venue.Tuesday, 30 September 2014
David Thomas Broughton
Last week, in a tiny subterranean bar, I
attended my third David Thomas Broughton
concert in five years. It was by turns funny,
scary, touching, confrontational and
beautiful, but above all it was, as always, a
unique experience. Part singer-songwriter,
part performance artist, Broughton treats his
songs as raw material, to be dissected and
reassembled at will, looping his voice, his
guitar and various electronic gizmos, while
incorporating any inanimate objects that come
to hand. He wanders off mic and off stage,
singing on the move, in the middle of the
audience, even from half way up the staircase
leading out of the venue.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Greatest Hits
-
Last week I took a bus over to the town I work in and walked home along country footpaths. I've done the jaunt before, more than once, b...
-
Somehow, don't ask me exactly how it happened, I seem to have reached the grand old age of 57. Last time I checked, I could've sw...
-
By way of a New Year's Resolution, a friend of mine pledged to read four books per month throughout the coming year. Another has set ...
-
Released 53 years ago today, 'Faust IV' was, remarkably, the band's third LP of 1973. I (along with many of my age group I suspe...
-
Yesterday evening saw the final ever Late Show with Stephen Colbert, following its cancellation by the CBS network. Colbert's tenure end...
3 comments:
On first listen, I'm deeply intrigued. Just when I thought I couldn't be arsed to even seek out any 'new' music I find that there is something like a 21st Century Jake Thackray, which is exactly what we need. Will definitely make further enquiries.
Yes I just loved that track....which opens a whole can of worms...like SB I am intrigued...spotify here I come.
He has a Bandcamp page with a ton of streamable stuff on it, but not the new album yet.
Post a Comment