If you are going
to treat yourself to just one 'World Music'
LP with your Christmas money this year, I
would wholeheartedly recommend 'African Gems'
on SWP Records. This isn't Jit-Jive, nor
Afro-Beat or even Saharan Desert Blues.
'African Gems' is a compilation of field
recordings made in Uganda, Congo, D.R. Congo, Chad and Cameroun between 1965-1984, where
droning horns, polymetric xylophones and
percussive soda bottles jostle for your
attention. It's an extraordinary set of recordings,
occasionally verging on the avant-garde
while simultaneously remaining hypnotic and accessible.
Here's a 7½ minute sample, containing brief excerpts from a few of the tracks. Find out more about this remarkable LP here.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Greatest Hits
-
Last week I took a bus over to the town I work in and walked home along country footpaths. I've done the jaunt before, more than once, b...
-
Somehow, don't ask me exactly how it happened, I seem to have reached the grand old age of 57. Last time I checked, I could've sw...
-
By way of a New Year's Resolution, a friend of mine pledged to read four books per month throughout the coming year. Another has set ...
-
Released 53 years ago today, 'Faust IV' was, remarkably, the band's third LP of 1973. I (along with many of my age group I suspe...
-
Yesterday evening saw the final ever Late Show with Stephen Colbert, following its cancellation by the CBS network. Colbert's tenure end...

1 comment:
Quite extraordinary. Will bookmark that for future reference.
Post a Comment