Wednesday, 28 February 2018
Mammane Sani et son Orgue
Mammane Sani was a keyboard player and composer, creating short continuity pieces for TV and Radio, before obtaining an Italian Orla organ and eventually recording 'La Musique Electronique Du Niger' in 1978. The album was distributed on cassette only in hen's teeth like quantities and, 35 years later, was rescued from oblivion by the good people at Sahel Sounds. The music is hypnotic, minimal and, quite frankly, not the kind of stuff you'd initially expect to have come out of late 70's West Africa. Think 'Dignity of Labour' period Human League transposed from Sheffield to Niamey. Remarkable.
Mammane Sani - Lamru
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Greatest Hits
-
Last week I took a bus over to the town I work in and walked home along country footpaths. I've done the jaunt before, more than once, b...
-
Somehow, don't ask me exactly how it happened, I seem to have reached the grand old age of 57. Last time I checked, I could've sw...
-
By way of a New Year's Resolution, a friend of mine pledged to read four books per month throughout the coming year. Another has set ...
-
Released 53 years ago today, 'Faust IV' was, remarkably, the band's third LP of 1973. I (along with many of my age group I suspe...
-
Yesterday evening saw the final ever Late Show with Stephen Colbert, following its cancellation by the CBS network. Colbert's tenure end...

3 comments:
That is very, very good Swede and as you say not something you would identify West Africa with.
btw Swede, Psychic Lemon have a free download of a live gig available here https://psychiclemon.bandcamp.com/
Cheers Drew.
Post a Comment