Monday, 6 January 2020
Monday Long Song
For a number of reasons, I didn't get around to putting a proper 2019 retrospective post together. It might still happen, but just in case time runs away with me as we career headlong into 2020, I'll try to slip in the odd, previously unfeatured favourite from last year as and when I get a chance. Take Elkhorn's 'Sun Cycle' for example. The duo's fourth LP finds their usual acoustic/electric psych-folk sound palette expanded by the addition of percussionist Ryan Jewell (though he doesn't feature on this particular tune) and the additional experimental guitar playing of Willie Lane. 'Sun Cycle' arrived simultaneously with a sister release, the self explanatory 'Elk Jam', an altogether more far out affair, a tune from which might also make an appearance as a Monday Long Song one of these days.
Elkhorn - Song of the Sun
(If you like what you hear, check out the whole album here)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Greatest Hits
-
Last week I took a bus over to the town I work in and walked home along country footpaths. I've done the jaunt before, more than once, b...
-
Somehow, don't ask me exactly how it happened, I seem to have reached the grand old age of 57. Last time I checked, I could've sw...
-
By way of a New Year's Resolution, a friend of mine pledged to read four books per month throughout the coming year. Another has set ...
-
Released 53 years ago today, 'Faust IV' was, remarkably, the band's third LP of 1973. I (along with many of my age group I suspe...
-
Yesterday evening saw the final ever Late Show with Stephen Colbert, following its cancellation by the CBS network. Colbert's tenure end...

4 comments:
The guitar sounds like John Fahey.
Fahey is one of the big influences, that's for sure.
That was very good. Guitar reminded me of early John Martyn, London Conversation period.
Fine album!
Post a Comment