I initially selected a couple of songs from his later work, but found neither of them available to stream, so have gone back to The Maps by way of a tribute. Neu! meets Buzzcocks on Sudden's pulsating 'Blam!!', from the 1979 debut LP 'A Trip to Marineville', while the brilliant and eccentric 'Steven Does', from a bonus EP issued with the same album and vocalised by fellow Map Phones Sportsman, is quite simply one of my favourite songs of the period. Listen out for Nikki's unique acoustic guitar solo.
Tuesday, 26 March 2013
Nikki Sudden and Swell Maps
Nikki Sudden, of D.I.Y. post-punk pioneers
Swell Maps, died, as the result of a heart
attack, seven years ago today, soon after
concluding a performance at The Knitting Factory in New
York. His prolific career continued long
after the band split in 1980 and he went on
to release over 30 albums, including
collaborations with members of Waterboys,
Wilco and REM.
I initially selected a couple of songs from his later work, but found neither of them available to stream, so have gone back to The Maps by way of a tribute. Neu! meets Buzzcocks on Sudden's pulsating 'Blam!!', from the 1979 debut LP 'A Trip to Marineville', while the brilliant and eccentric 'Steven Does', from a bonus EP issued with the same album and vocalised by fellow Map Phones Sportsman, is quite simply one of my favourite songs of the period. Listen out for Nikki's unique acoustic guitar solo.
I initially selected a couple of songs from his later work, but found neither of them available to stream, so have gone back to The Maps by way of a tribute. Neu! meets Buzzcocks on Sudden's pulsating 'Blam!!', from the 1979 debut LP 'A Trip to Marineville', while the brilliant and eccentric 'Steven Does', from a bonus EP issued with the same album and vocalised by fellow Map Phones Sportsman, is quite simply one of my favourite songs of the period. Listen out for Nikki's unique acoustic guitar solo.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Greatest Hits
-
Last week I took a bus over to the town I work in and walked home along country footpaths. I've done the jaunt before, more than once, b...
-
Somehow, don't ask me exactly how it happened, I seem to have reached the grand old age of 57. Last time I checked, I could've sw...
-
By way of a New Year's Resolution, a friend of mine pledged to read four books per month throughout the coming year. Another has set ...
-
Released 53 years ago today, 'Faust IV' was, remarkably, the band's third LP of 1973. I (along with many of my age group I suspe...
-
Yesterday evening saw the final ever Late Show with Stephen Colbert, following its cancellation by the CBS network. Colbert's tenure end...
2 comments:
I have to admit that I have not heard anything by him and his Maps...but loved that first track...I must seek out some more!
Glad you enjoyed the tune Old Pa. They were a bit all over the place musically, but had an endearing D.I.Y.ness about them that I loved.
Post a Comment