Wednesday 22 March 2017

Version City #59 - Velvet Crush sing Dillard & Clark


Gene Clark released a steady stream of great music throughout his post-Byrds career, sometimes in cahoots with one of a succession of collaborators. At the tail-end of the 1960's, Clark teamed up with Doug Dillard to produce two albums, 'The Fantastic Expedition of Dillard & Clark' in 1968 and 'Through the Morning, Through the Night' the following year. Sandwiched between these long players was the non-album single 'Why Not Your Baby', a beautiful song written by Clark, with as an emotionally devastating a lyric as you'll ever hear.

Gene Clark died in 1991 at the tragically young age of 46. Three years later, Velvet Crush, produced by Mitch Easter, paid a fine tribute to the man with a cover of 'Why Not Your Baby' on their 'Teenage Symphonies To God' LP, released through Creation Records.

She wore a blue dress when she walked in the room
And in her eyes the look I saw was filled with gloom
Is this the question I would answer all too soon
Come tell your friend what's wrong with you

Why don't you call me your baby anymore
Am I so changed from some strange love that went before
Is this the change of mind that I've been designed for
Why not your baby anymore

Those words we spoke they only seemed to block our way
The truth rang out when you called me and called my name
I don't know what I can do or I can say
Your good friends also find a way

Why don't you call me your baby anymore
Am I so changed from some strange love that went before
Is this the change of mind that I've been designed for
Why not your baby anymore

Dillard & Clark - Why Not Your Baby

Velvet Crush - Why Not Your Baby

6 comments:

Rol said...

Gene Clark has been firmly entrenched in my Must Check Out More list for a while now. Velvet Crush just went on that list.

Brian said...

Huge fan of 'Teenage Symphonies To God' and, of course, Mitch Easter, but I don't believe I ever heard this original before today. So good.

Chris said...

I like the late 80s single 'High' released under the Velvet Crush's former band name Choo Choo Train. It has an irresistible upbeatness.

Charity Chic said...

Like Rol I have long thought I need some Dillatd and Clstk in my life

George said...

My vote would go for the cover version here, although I prefer Gene Clark's vulnerable-sounding vocal

Charity Chic said...

Not sure who Dillatd and Clstk are - some Slovenian tribute duo?

Greatest Hits