Wednesday 17 January 2018

All That Jazz #5 - Ian Carr


In 1972, following three albums fronting the original incarnation of Nucleus, Ian Carr put out the 'Belladonna' LP under his own name. This excellent album bridges the gaps between jazz, jazz rock and prog, featuring members of Matching Mole, The Soft Machine and Gilgamesh among the supporting cast of players. Also in the studio for the sessions was Allan Holdsworth, a soon to be legendary guitarist, later described by a certain Mr Frank Zappa as 'one of the most interesting guys on guitar on the planet'. 'Hector's House' showcases Holdsworth in full flow. Incidentally, if anyone happens to stumble across a reasonably priced original copy of 'Belladonna' on their travels, please pick it up for your old pal The Swede - it's currently going for between £180 and £300 online.

Ian Carr - Hector's House 

Previously on All That Jazz: 

7 comments:

John Medd said...

Check out If.

In the meantime, I will have this playing in the kitchen tonight; nothing's so sure.

The Swede said...

Ah yes If - one of the many bands who failed to foresee the coming of Google. Dave Greenslade's old mob wasn't it? Greenslade, now there was a band. I feel a prog night coming on.

Rol said...

This post is a superb example of why we still needs music blogs. Bravo!

Track was a bloody awful racket though. ;-)

The Swede said...

One man's bloody awful racket is another man's glorious racket! Thanks forgiving it a go Rol.

Brian said...

We haven't had one of these in ages. I have always appreciated this series, and I think my son is really going to dig this one... seriously.

The Swede said...

Hi Brian. I could do them more often, but I quite appreciate that jazz isn't to everyone's taste, so I spread out the posts. I hope your young 'un dug the tune!

Kevin said...

Hey Swede. I noticed that you said you posted Ian Carr recently when you left a comment on the latest post on my blog, so I figured I would stop by to say hey. I love this record, and almost everything that Ian Carr does. He really had a way with incorporating jazz, funk and rock together in one song, creating a tasty gumbo stew for the adventurous listener.

I'll have to spend some time to take a look around here, as I'm sure there is much more that will be to my liking.

Best,

Kevin

http://eclectic-grooves.blogspot.com

Greatest Hits