Wednesday 13 March 2019

Version City #71 - Ed Kuepper sings The Who


The 208th entry into JC's never-ending Imaginary Compilation Album series featured a guest posting from Martin, head honcho at New Amusements, with a mighty fine ten track whistle-stop trip through the career of bona fide rock legends, The Who. After spotting Martin's chosen subject on my phone, but before I retired to my laptop to read the post and check out his actual musical selections, I jotted down the first ten Who songs that sprang to my own mind, just for fun, so that I could compare and contrast the results. Inevitably our choices overlapped here and there, most pleasingly when it came to the band's marvellous, but oft overlooked 1970 non-LP 45, 'The Seeker'. Israeli beat combo Men of North Country put out a top notch version of the song on their 'Magic' EP in 2014, but, unsurprisingly, my own favourite cover of 'The Seeker' comes from the great Ed Kuepper, who released it on his 1995 acoustic tour souvenir album, 'I Was A Mail Order Bridegroom'.

If you haven't done so already, go check out Martin's fab Who ICA over at T(N)VV here.

Ed Kuepper - The Seeker

3 comments:

George said...

Men From The North COuntry and Ed Keupper versions very good.
No one seems to have mentioned Long Live Rock for the Who ICA. Billy Fury did a cover version of it (not very well), hos voice was not powerful enough

Martin said...

Cheers for the shout. And also this cover version, that I hadn't heard before - love it.

John Medd said...

I always thought Bowie nailed the Who on Pinups. First with Anyway, Anyhow, Anywhere. Then with this.

Greatest Hits