Friday 26 January 2024

Friday Photo #57


Burgoyne Burbidges & Co chemical works in East Ham looms large in my family's history. The company began trading in the Hackney area in 1714, before moving to the East Ham location in 1892. Several aunts and uncles, not to mention both my parents, worked there at one time or other before it closed for good in 1952. The land has been completely redeveloped over the ensuing 70 years, though the original entrance facade on High Street South still remains and I nod to it every time I pass by. Here's Dad aged 22 (looking straight at the camera in the open neck shirt) with some of his colleagues at Burgoynes, shortly before the company closed down. The chap with the tie and Harry Hill collar to Dad's right looks a bit of a character. 

6 comments:

Ernie Goggins said...

I wouldn't mess with the bloke on your Dad's left

Rol said...

These photos are priceless, Swede.

John Medd said...

Another gem, TS. You're sitting a veritable treasure chest with these photographs, you know that don't you? You should put them all together in an exhibition and or book. There's a wider audience for these, I think that's what I'm trying to say.

C said...

For a moment there I thought it was the Pogues...
Seriously, though, lovely photo. A wonderful snapshot of a time, and great to see your Dad so young.

Charity Chic said...

Burgoyne Burbidges sounds like the name of an Old Etonian tosspot Tory MP!

The Swede said...

Thanks for checking in guys, it really is much appreciated. I'm still trying to restart my conked out mojo, but it's just not happening at the moment, so for now I'll keep posting photos.

Greatest Hits