Friday 22 March 2024

Friday Photo(s) #61


Just lately I've been spending more time than usual in London. My aunt is having a few health issues and my cousin has had to fly in from America to monitor the situation. I've bombed down the M11 at every opportunity over the past month or so to give them both a bit of moral support (I'm heading down again today). During this uncertain period, my cousin is also working all hours, including seemingly endless daily conference calls carried out on New York time. To see an unwell aunt and a horribly stressed out cousin without really being able to do anything to help either is upsetting to say the least. 

One day, while my cousin was up to her neck in unfathomably complicated technical discussions with multiple colleagues scattered around the globe and with the relentless rain briefly pausing, I took myself off to the East Ham Nature Reserve to clear my head. The reserve winds through the defunct 9 acre graveyard of an 800 year old church and in spite of incessant A13 traffic hammering across the flyover a few yards to the South and planes from the nearby London City Airport roaring overhead, it's a relative oasis of calm amid the turmoil of life.

Jape - Graveyard

7 comments:

Ernie Goggins said...

I enjoy a stroll around the nature reserve every now and then. I don't wish to teach a Swede to suck eggs but if you haven't already done so the ruins of the Beckton Alp on the other side of the flyover are wirth exploring as well.

Charity Chic said...

Sad news about your aunt Swede.
I'm sure your cousin appreciates the support.

C said...

Ah, that's a toughie for you and your cousin, and of course your Aunt, so sorry to hear about her. Thinking of you and wishing you all the best in dealing with everything, TS. Nature a great help.

Alyson said...

Sorry to hear about your aunt and about how stressful it is for everyone. Always helps to have a stroll through nature though and Ernie's suggestion sounds like a good one.

Swiss Adam said...

Not much fun at times- a walk always helps I find.

JC said...

Sorry to read this. Adam is right about walks helping your own state of mind. Take good care.....

The Swede said...

Thanks for your kind words of comfort everyone. Last weekend was very tough for my aunt and cousin. I have to work through Easter, but am heading back down to London next weekend to help where I can.

Greatest Hits