Monday 26 August 2024

Monday Long Song


So there I was, one November afternoon in 1976, propping up the counter of the record shop where, some three years in the future, I would eventually work. I wasn't yet as familiar with the staff as I would ultimately become, but, if I happened to be in the store when the kettle was boiling, I was invariably offered a brew. Customers trickled in, the cash register ker-chinged and the music played. Ah, if I close my eyes I can practically smell the old place.

The aforementioned kettle was pressed into service once again with the arrival of the rep from Phonogram Records. Back in the day, Phonogram handled the manufacture and distribution for a number of small labels including, at that time, Charisma. I'd wandered off up the shop, coffee in hand and was idly browsing through the racks when one of the staff called out to me. 'Do you wanna go to see Van Der Graaf Generator this evening?' I had a little history with band and knew they were playing locally, though with my abysmal teenage cashflow situation being what it was, I'd already discounted the possibility of going, but he was waving a ticket in my direction - a record company freebie!

A few hours later I found myself sitting in the stalls of a sparsely populated local theatre. Actually the phrase sparsely populated doesn't do the audience number justice. The room holds 1500, though I doubt there were 150 of us scattered around the place - little wonder that tickets were being given away. The band absolutely delivered nonetheless, playing a powerful set in support of their seventh LP, 'World Record'. The hefty (dare I say progfunk?) organ and sax driven 'A Place to Survive' was a favourite of mine back then and remains so to this day.

Van Der Graaf Generator - A Place to Survive

11 comments:

Ernie Goggins said...

Spooky. I was listening to my only Van Der Graaf Generator album (Godbluff) for the first time in ages yesterday. Must be something in the air

Charity Chic said...

Good to see the return of Swedey McSwedeface!

The Swede said...

Spooky indeed Ernie. I generally find VDGG to be a more challenging listen than many of my other go-to prog bands, but whenever I do get the urge to dive in, it usually ends up being a pretty deep dive.

The Swede said...

I'm going back to my roots CC!

John Medd said...

The SMcSF never goes out of fashion. (Now with added bins, I see.)

The Swede said...

It's either slap on the bins John, or introduce the world to Squinty McSquintface.

Walter said...

Good to have you back on the blog and with a highlight of British prog.

The Swede said...

Thanks Walter. I'm trying hard to rediscover my long lost mojo.

Swiss Adam said...

Glad to see you back Swede. Never really gone in on VDGG. Maybe today is the day

The Swede said...

Peter Hammill's voice gets a bit of stick every now and then, even from the fanbase. Having grooved to the dulcet tones of people like Tom Waits, Howlin' Wolf and Prince Far-I over the years, I don't have a problem with it. Hope you enjoyed this tune Adam.

Swiss Adam said...

I'm not sure it was the day... I'll try again.

Greatest Hits