Saturday 22 February 2014

Saturday Scratch #35

The LP might sonically seem a little dated now, but on its release in 1987, 'Time Boom X De Devil Dead' was by some way the strongest material to have been released by Lee Perry since the glory days of The Black Ark. Produced by Scratch and Adrian Sherwood and featuring the On-U Sound house band The Dub Syndicate, the albums imminent arrival created a noticeable frisson of excitement in the music business at the time, enhanced by a last minute distribution deal with EMI. As a consequence of this major label support, the first single from the LP, 'Jungle', was issued in three formats (7", 10" and 12") all with slightly different mixes. Here though is the original LP version - what a lot of coughing.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Simply brilliant and one of my favourite Perry albums. Perry and Sherwood - can't really go wrong. In fact, not having heard it for a while, I am now reaching over (I can reach my reggae rack form here), pulling it off the shelf and readying it for a spin when I go out for a drive in a minute. I'll be picking up my Dad on the way back - hope he digs a bit of Lee Perry!

The Swede said...

I loved the album at the time and indeed was quite an On-U Sound-head for a while. I haven't played the whole LP for an age, but thoroughly enjoyed listening through the different mixes of 'Jungle' in preparation for this post, so perhaps I'll dig it out too. Hope your Dad enjoyed the tunes!

Anonymous said...

Well, he's pretty deaf now, so it may have been safe but I switched it to some Saint-Saens after a while. His third, 'Organ', symphony is very cool indeed.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Welcome back Scratch...not heard this before and it is really good....will have to have a little search for it!

Greatest Hits