Saturday 18 April 2015

Battered Cheese - What's Not To Like?


On Tuesday evening, in preparation for our trip to the coast the following day, I sat at my laptop perusing a selection of online pub-lunch menus and stumbled upon a dish that caused my eyebrow to creak upwards in the manner of Roger Moore's Spitting Image puppet. Vegetarian Fish 'n' Chips. Intrigued, I read on. The 'Fish' was actually halloumi, deep-fried in chilli, coriander and lime batter. I closed my laptop. We had a winner. There was no further research required.


Apparently, Chicago singer/songwriter Daniel Knox enjoyed a full English breakfast on every stop of his recent UK tour (the best was in Coventry, in case you're wondering). I'd be interested to hear his opinion on the merits of my veggie Fish 'n' Chips. Maybe next time. Daniel's 'Blue Car' is easily my favourite song of the year so far and to be standing immediately in front of him as he sang it, a couple of weeks ago, was one of those, never to be forgotten, concert moments. Check out more of his remarkable music here.


10 comments:

John Medd said...

Whereabouts in Coventry, just out of interest?

The Swede said...

Can't help you there John. I heard Daniel extolling the virtues of the full English breakfast on a radio interview, recorded near the end of his tour. The interviewer asked him where his favourite one was so far. Daniel replied that it was in Coventry, but didn't specify the location. He did mention that it was fairly remote and he had to walk along the canal to find the place though.

Walter said...

It's new to me. What a mighty voice. Thank you Swede

C said...

What's not to like, indeed! Mmmm, I must try this...

The Swede said...

Walter. Glad you enjoyed it. If you're on Instagram, he's well worth following. He's an inventive photographer and a bit of a hoot too!

C. If I had my way, I'd never eat anything else again.

John Medd said...

The Fast Dog! Sorry, The Greyhound.

Anonymous said...

Great voice! Nice veggie meal.

The Swede said...

John. This just in, from Daniel himself. The Coventry fry-up gaff in question is The Country Crust Tearooms in the Canal Basin.

Singing Bear. Glad you enjoyed the tune. He's well worth investigating further.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Actually featured this track in Jan in TOTW....gret stuff and you saw him ....they say envy is a sin.....Old Pa you sinner you!
Well how was the 'Fish' and Chips?

The Swede said...

Old Pa. I knew I'd latched onto Daniel via one of the blogs I follow, but for the life of me couldn't remember which one. A thousand thanks. He's an incredible artist and also a very nice bloke. (The veggie Fish 'n' Chips' were incredible too).

Greatest Hits