Saturday 4 April 2015

55 From 55 - 2002

55 songs in 55 days - one for every year of my life...so far.


In January 2002, after 18 months with the coffee company (and in a echo of my first record shop job in 1981) I was offered the opportunity to manage my own store in Norfolk. The branch was located within a bookstore, the perfect environment. Occasionally, authors stopped in to sign stock while on promotional jaunts, in some cases hosting a reading and Q&A event in the evening. If I was on shift, I'd be sure to offer them a cuppa. Here I am with Our 'Enry.

7 comments:

Walter said...

Seems like you found your own peace in mind, Swede. His version NIN's 'Hurt' is far better than the original. I love this somber and broken voice.

TheRobster said...

This video is one of the most heartbreaking clips ever made. I well up everytime I see it.

Anonymous said...

Henry Cooper and JR Cash - real men. There is nothing that can be said about 'Hurt' - beyond words.

C said...

Such a great song which has me in tears every time - but the lovely happy-looking photo here helps to counteract the effect!

Brian said...

All I can do is echo the comments here. Fantastic song. Probably the best of the American Recordings series. I suppose you know what we are thinking. Gulp. Solid footing with coffee, but who would have thought in 2002 that someday you would be on shaky ground with books, of all things? Love the photo.

The Swede said...

I enjoyed working in the coffee shop within the bookstore, probably the best years I had with the company. I still had a few record industry contacts and even managed to put on a couple of little lunchtime acoustic gigs.
I tried to write something to introduce 'Hurt', but if ever there's a song that needs no introduction, it's that one.

Billy Pilgrim said...

Ublocked video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vt1Pwfnh5pc

Just discovered your blog Googling the title lyric from My Back Pages. I was checking to see if whether "unthought of" was really the correct lyric or some kind of mondegreen. I've always taken it in the sense of "unexamined," but after all these years it seems a little strange. Stranger that you'd pick that phrase to title your blog. Am I missing something?

Greatest Hits