Monday 18 December 2017

Red Gold & Green #25 - RIP Micheal Prophet


I just heard the sad news that the London based, Jamaican vocalist Michael Prophet passed away on Saturday, at the age of 60. Prophet's earliest sides were cut for producer Yabby You in 1977 and in a long career he also worked with the likes of Al Campbell, Sugar Minott, Winston 'Niney' Holness, and Winston Riley. Perhaps his most enduring recordings were those made for Henry 'Junjo' Lawes and released on Greensleeves at the very beginning of the 1980s.  Here's the full 12" version of Michael Prophet's best known song, 'Gunman', from 1981.

Michael Prophet - Gunman

3 comments:

Chris said...

A sad loss for his fans and loved ones.

I enjoyed The Gunman you shared, was new to me

Anonymous said...

I have to admit that I'm not knowledgeable about reggae, apart from the hits, but I enjoyed this one, Mr. S.

By the way, the Captcha's are taking longer to verify all the time. ;-)

dphnbscs said...

Totally a loss for his fans and music industry! Loved his songs. Thanks a lot! Have a great day. Miccoli

Miccoli Music

Miccoli band

Greatest Hits