Friday 8 December 2017

Olden Yolk


I should emphasise that while my recent return to retail may have been unplanned and initiated by financial concerns, I am absolutely loving it. Having spent the past 7 years sat on my arse behind a computer, I'm woefully out of shape, but interacting with people is what I do best, in fact it's arguably the only true skill I have in my armoury. The reason I'm particularly enjoying retail this time round? Simple, I'm not in charge. Since the age of 21, the buck has always seemed to stop with me, or pretty close by me, sometimes in spite of my best efforts to the contrary. Now though, I'm just a hired hand, clocking in, working hard, clocking out and going home. Someone else is paid a lot more than I am to manage labour costs, stock control and all the many other key performance indicators that I stressed about for so many years - I get to concentrate on the really enjoyable bit. Most of the customers are nice, my co-workers are a great bunch and now that the company have invested in a second Christmas CD, things can only get better. A 9 hour shift with just one 45 minute festive compilation on constant repeat is enough to test the resolve of the most benign of temperaments.

Here's another one to watch out for in 2018 - on February 23rd to be precise. That's the release date for Olden Yolk's self titled debut LP on Trouble in Mind Records. The band was put together by Shane Butler and Caity Shaffer as an outlet for songs not used during Butler's day job with Quilt, whose 'Held in Splender' was runner up in my favourite albums of 2014. If the rest of the 'Olden Yolk' is as interesting as 'Takes One to Know One', we'll be in for a treat.

12 comments:

drew said...

I really like that Swede, thanks. Here's something I found quite recently which I think will be right up your alley https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyWYSZkmoK8, the whole album is excellent, if maybe a bit retro.

drew said...

Forgot to say, the drumming on that track is particularly good.

George said...

absolutely splendid.

Alyson said...

Glad to hear you are enjoying the return to retail, despite the background music monotony. I had a phonecall today offering me a low-key return to office work and I am tempted - Especially as you say when there will be no managerial pressures. Good clip - impressed you have time for blogging though just now!

The Swede said...

drew. Never knowingly heard Asteroid #4 before today, but they are indeed right up my alley. I've just found a bunch of their stuff on Bandcamp, so there goes the rest of my evening! Thanks for pointing me in their direction.

George. Thought you might enjoy it.

Alyson. Honestly, it's a joy. It reminds me of when I first started work at 18. No pressures, no worries, just a little pay packet every 4 weeks. I've come full circle. The downside is that I've very little time in hand at the moment for blogging, reading or writing. I just grab a few minutes here and there as and when I can.

Brian said...

I’m convinced the key to happiness is a job you don’t have to take home with you.

Nic said...

fab. thanks. need to investigate these.

C said...

Very interesting - love that trippy West Coast vibe going on and that fizzy, fuzzy guitar which makes me think of some of bands like the Electric Prunes and those obscure records we used to buy on the Psycho label in the mid-'80s - I'm sure you know what I mean - The Hunger, the Flat Earth Society... blimey I'm mining some memories now!
Anyway great to hear this so thanks.
Also really chuffed you're enjoying your work, doing what you're best at without the managerial pressures - happy days :-)

Rol said...

Like that.

I take it you're not actually selling records in this new job?

(What am I talking about? Nobody sells records anymore.)

Walter said...

I really enjoyed this and will investigate for more if them when I am back home. Thanks Swede and have a great time.

Rickety Rackety said...

A return to retail! I'm chuffed you are enjoying it. I have only ever had one such job but I recall it being generally fun and I always loved it one I could smuggle a good extra handful of sweets into the older customers' 1/4 of Pick and Mix. Ever the rebel! Hope the new gig continues to bring blessings. Nice sounds here.

JC said...

"now that the company have invested in a second Christmas CD, things can only get better."

I laughed out loud at that. I always feel so sorry for shop workers in the month of December....not only are the stupidly busy but they are forced to listen to lots of unbearable and overly-familiar songs.

Great to read that you were enjoying it!!

Greatest Hits