Friday 2 June 2023

Friday Photo #43

It's a trip that's been in the books since last September, but a succession of irritating health hiccups in recent weeks had me thinking that perhaps I was destined not to make it back to E Street this time around. In the event, however, I managed to make it to both the Amsterdam and Edinburgh Springsteen shows as planned, largely thanks to a good pal who organised flights, accommodation and concert tickets and got me to the airport on time, in spite of my befuddled head. As I'd been so distracted of late, I wasn't sure if the usual emotional trigger points of a Springsteen concert would effect me in quite the same way, but in the event tears were already rolling down my cheeks at 7.30 as he walked onto the stage to greet the Amsterdam crowd and I remained moist of eye for much of the remainder of the gig. I'm aware that there isn't necessarily a huge Bruce fanbase around these parts, so I won't go into chapter and verse, but it was a show structured around love, loss and the passing of time, universal themes one and all. To paraphrase the great man '...when you're young it's all tomorrows and hellos, but as the years go by there are more yesterdays and goodbyes....' If that makes the concert sound a sombre experience, it wasn't. There were plenty of lighter moments too, not least when Bruce missed his step and face-planted the stage three songs in, before scrambling to his feet, grinning from ear to ear and offering an embarrassed '...goodnight everybody...'. 

I've flown through Amsterdam several times over the years, but this was the first time I'd ever left the airport. What an beautiful, welcoming city it is. I hope I get back there someday.

American Music Club - Hello Amsterdam

8 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Count me in as part of the Bruce fanbase.

Anonymous said...

The older we get the more emotional it gets as you say and no shortage of such moments for you during that gig but glad you enjoyed it so much, and Amsterdam, such a unique city with such a rich history. You’ll have to go back. Alyson

Ernie Goggins said...

Glad you made the gigs, sorry to hear about your health issues. Hope you are back to your brilliant best soon.

Swiss Adam said...

Sounds like a good way to spend a couple of days- Amsterdam is a great city. And despite my lack of enthusiasm for Bruce he has featured at Bagging Area this week (entirely coincidentally).

C said...

Sorry to hear of your recent health issues, TS, and hope you're feeling much better now. Bruce (and Amsterdam - and Edinburgh!) sounds just the tonic too. As you know, I'm not a fan but my admiration and respect for him have grown hugely on hearing about his recent gigs. A friend saw him on the Dublin stop too and was suitably impressed - as we get older I find I relate in different ways, and to know he has the energy to do all these dates and deliver such powerful, lengthy sets too has really struck home. So I've softened!
I've only had a day-trip to Amsterdam years ago, and got such a lovely feel from the place, really beautiful. Yes, you must go back!

Martin said...

Sounds like a fine gig. And Amsterdam is lovely, with such a fine centre for walking around. A great trip all around, nice.

John Medd said...

I saw the Springsteen slip and have added it to my rockstars falling off stage clips - incl. Oasis and U2.
Amsterdam is fab. Last time I was there was to see Baxter Dury at the Paradiso.
We’ll swap stories in York, I’m sure.

The Swede said...

Thanks all. Sorry for the delayed acknowledgement, I've been out of town, visiting my aunt in London for the past few days. What say we give this BlogCon thing a couple more years to establish itself on home turf, before taking it into Europe? Amsterdam '26 or '27?

Greatest Hits