Friday 28 October 2016

Floyd Tillman


Back in March, Frank Jive (over at the always excellent Blues All Kinds blog) posted 'Slippin' Around' by Floyd Tillman and it was quite the revelation to your humble author's ears and eyes. Firstly, the song itself is a doozie. A hit in 1949, it was subsequently covered by all manner of artists from Jerry Lee Lewis to Perry Como. In the same post Frank also linked to a slightly later filmed live performance of 'Slippin' Around' and this is where it gets really interesting. In my experience, most country music singers on TV from this period stood stock still, permagrin in place, showing no actual real emotion, while he or she sang of heartache, tragedy or disaster. Floyd though, lived every word. Check this out.

   

What a performer! Since Frank's post I've been tracking down as much of Floyd's work as I can find and have my eyes on a rather splendid Bear Family 6 Disc compilation, but at £100 it's a bit out of my reach (though if you're reading this Santa Claus, you know where to find me). Floyd Tillman died in 2003 at the ripe old age of 88. Here he is at a sprightly 76, with the fabulous 'I Am Music'.

 

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Always excellent??

Frank Jive said...

Well one thing we do know is Floyd Tillman is "always excellent"! Thanks for posting this, Swede, hope it points more folks towards Floyd Tillman!

Rol said...

Cool. But £100 for 6 discs? That's the sort of ridiculous pricing that encourages piracy.

The Swede said...

Anon. Certainly is.

Frank. Thank you for the intro.

Rol. The packaging is amazing, as it always is with Bear Family releases. The alternative is a 4 disc compilation with no packaging to speak of for under a tenner. I think I know which I'm heading for, unfortunately.

Frank Jive said...

Thanks again, Swede.

Brian said...

Swede, Thanks for the introduction to Floyd Tillman and to Frank's blog.

Walter said...

You might now that I am not the hottest fan of country but Floyd Tillman impressed me much. Maybe he's the missing link between classic country and the new inspiration of this genre. Anyway, thanks for introducing me to him and his music.

The Swede said...

Frank. You're more than welcome.

Brian. Frank & his pals keep it simple, just posting a tune a day with very little extra comment. Floyd Tillman is just one of the artists I've been introduced to over there.

Walter. Glad you enjoyed the tunes. Floyd's vocal delivery is unique isn't it?

Rol said...

Is the packaging handcrafted from Floyd's old guitar picks? That's what I'd want for a hundred quid.

Still, good to know there's a more modestly priced alterntive.

Greatest Hits