Thursday 25 April 2019

The Listening Project - March


In January, I began to list every album I play in full during 2019. The format is immaterial, LP, CD or Download, as long as the album in question is played in its entirety. If I skip tracks, cherry pick the odd tune or give up part way through, it doesn't go on the list. My aim, as often as possible, is to treat the album as a body of work, old school stylee. 

After managing a total of 58 full albums during February, in March I listened to a mere 30. I played a lot of music, but struggled to fully apply myself fully to the task at hand and found myself flicking around - a couple of tracks from here, a few tracks from there. Must try harder.


A very fine record that has already appeared on a couple of blogs in this little corner of the internet is 'Dusty Notes', the 15th long player by Meat Puppets. Their third release, 1985's 'Up On the Sun', is an all time favourite of mine and in a couple of months I have a firm appointment to catch the band in concert for the first time since 1992. I'm hoping to pick up a physical copy of 'Dusty Notes' at the show.

Chicago Odense Ensemble - s/t (2019) LP 
The Stroppies - Whoosh (2019) LP 
Sleaford Mods - Key Markets (2015) LP 
Brix & the Extricated - Breaking State (2018) LP 
VED - Gershwin's Pipe (2010) LP 
Ashley Hutchings - Son of Morris On (1976) LP 
Frankie & the Witch Fingers - Zam (2019) DL 
The Furrow Collective - Fathoms (2018) CD 
El Guincho - Alegranza (2008) CD 
Of Montreal - The Sunlandic Twins (2005) CD 
Meat Puppets - Dusty Notes (2019) DL 
The Unthanks – Lines: Parts One, Two & Three (2019) DL 
Greenslade - Spyglass Guest (1974) DL 
Richard Youngs - Red Alphabet in the Snow (2014) DL 
Rustin Man - Drift Code (2019) DL 
Various Artists - Studio One Scorcher Instrumentals (2002) LP 
The Cinematic Orchestra - To Believe (2019) DL 
These New Puritans - Inside the Rose (2019) DL 
Egg - s/t (1970) DL 
Meat Puppets - Dusty Notes (2019) DL 
Our Solar System - Origins (2018) LP 
The Del Fuegos - Boston, Mass (1985) LP 
John Coltrane - Ascension (1965) LP 
James Brown - Ain't That a Groove 66-69 (1984) LP 
Paisiel - s/t (2019) LP 
John McLaughlin, Dave Holland, John Surman, Stu Martin, Karl Berger ‎ - Where Fortune Smiles (1971) LP 
Takeshi Inomata & Sound Limited - Innocent Canon (1971) DL 
Joshua Abrams - Reprencing (2012) DL 
Anne Briggs - s/t (1971) DL 
Joshua Abrams & Natural Information Society - Mandatory Reality (2019) LP 

Meat Puppets - Nightcap

5 comments:

Brian said...

Slacker! Ha! A fair number of 2019 releases here to check out, but I'm most impressed with that James Brown collection and the randomness of the Sunlandic Twins by of Montreal. I was really into that band in the early 2000s. I was telling Walter recently that the Meat Puppets album is getting quite a bit of airplay here on KEXP. Really digging it. As someone who hasn't listened to them in forever, I was stunned by their sound.

The Swede said...

I have a bunch of Of Montreal albums on the shelf, but I think 'Sunlandic Twins' will be the only survivor of the forthcoming cull.
Really looking forward to the Meat Puppets show - I'll be sure to report back with my thoughts.

Rol said...

You forgot the Hall & Oates!

The Stroppies is a great name for a band.

The Swede said...

It is. Whoosh is a great album too!

Swiss Adam said...

Meat Puppets are sounding good.

Greatest Hits