Friday 30 July 2021

Friday Photo #8

I took this shot in a small coffee shop near Spitalfields several years ago. The espresso was as divine as it looks.

Outside of music, the biggest indulgence in my life is undoubtedly coffee. I'm endlessly fascinated by the complex range of taste profiles to be discovered in various brew methods, not to mention the immense variety of beans themselves. It's a never-ending journey of wonder and discovery, one that I already spend a fair amount of money on, but one that I could easily sink vast sums into if I didn't restrain myself. 

Within the past 18 months, independent coffee shops have opened both near my new home and right across the road from where I work and in spite of the terrible effects of the pandemic on all businesses, I'm delighted to report that these two fine establishments are each going from strength to strength. I turn to them in particular for my espresso needs and also to purchase freshly roasted single origin beans for use in my current set up at home, where I have the options of Chemex, Clever Dripper or V60 methods on hand. 

Fear not, I'll stop there - I really could nerd out for hours. Besides, it's time for a brew.

----------------------------------

Guitarist Matthew J. Rolin, percussionist Jayson Gerycz and hammered dulcimer player Jen Powers originally issued 'Beacon' on a limited edition cassette in March 2020. A similarly limited vinyl and CD release saw the light of day almost exactly a year later and although only a few months have passed since then, these are already changing hands for substantial amounts, so unless there is a further pressing at some point in the future, I've probably missed my chance to pick up a copy.

From 'Beacon', here's a paean to my favourite beverage.

Gerycz / Powers / Rolin - Black Coffee

10 comments:

TheRobster said...

The indie coffee shops do undoubtedly make better coffee than the chains. If I never taste another Costa in my life I won't be disappointed. Disgusting stuff!

The Swede said...

Good Indie coffee shops are staffed by people with knowledge and passion for their subject, exactly the same criteria we all apply to good indie record shops. The majors in both fields are soulless and generic by comparison. I wouldn't go to Starbucks or Costa for coffee and I wouldn't go to HMV or Amazon for records.

Swiss Adam said...

I'm a tea man (as Sam and Dave nearly said) but appreciate the varieties that coffee aficionados enjoy and seek out.
Fuck Starbucks.

Rol said...

I'm a coffee addict, but not really a connoisseur like you, Swede. I like a good blend but rarely understand what makes one better than another. Coffee is one of the crutches I've leaned on heavily over the past two years.

Rol said...

Oh, and I second Swiss Adam's closing comment.

Ironically, when the Evil Place Of Work (soon to be ex-place of work) announced they were opening a coffee shop a couple of years back, I was momentarily excited... until they revealed it would be a Starbucks. Still, it seemed an appropriate match.

C said...

I'm a total coffee luddite I'm afraid so a railway station cappuccino is about as exotic as I go! I'll always remember once, over 20 years ago, witnessing a lengthy argument between two colleagues, one from Australia, one from New Zealand, about a 'flat white', as they both had different definitions of it and each thought the other's completely wrong. Must admit that until then I'd thought a flat white was a shark...
I'll stick to tea!

Walter said...

I am addicted to coffee as well but turned into tea at my office because the coffee at my office tastes horrible. My youngest brother introduced me a few years ago into independent coffee shops and the philosophy of brewing coffee. And I am glad that a few indie coffee shops are close to my place where I can enjoy a good brew.

Brian said...

Brace yourself. I have never had coffee. Mrs. LTL was the same until well into her 30s when she started traveling for her job and got hooked on the road. Now there is coffee in the kitchen every morning, but I figure, why start now? Just eats into record money anyway. All of that news aside, this is a household that will agree with the aforementioned fuck Starbucks sentiment.

The Swede said...

Thanks all. Still reeling from Brian's confession though!

Rol said...

Me too!

Greatest Hits