Tuesday 26 March 2013

Nikki Sudden and Swell Maps

Nikki Sudden, of D.I.Y. post-punk pioneers Swell Maps, died, as the result of a heart attack, seven years ago today, soon after concluding a performance at The Knitting Factory in New York. His prolific career continued long after the band split in 1980 and he went on to release over 30 albums, including collaborations with members of Waterboys, Wilco and REM.

I initially selected a couple of songs from his later work, but found neither of them available to stream, so have gone back to The Maps by way of a tribute. Neu! meets Buzzcocks on Sudden's pulsating 'Blam!!', from the 1979 debut LP 'A Trip to Marineville', while the brilliant and eccentric 'Steven Does', from a bonus EP issued with the same album and vocalised by fellow Map Phones Sportsman, is quite simply one of my favourite songs of the period. Listen out for Nikki's unique acoustic guitar solo.


2 comments:

Old Pa's Corner said...

I have to admit that I have not heard anything by him and his Maps...but loved that first track...I must seek out some more!

The Swede said...

Glad you enjoyed the tune Old Pa. They were a bit all over the place musically, but had an endearing D.I.Y.ness about them that I loved.

Greatest Hits