Friday 1 March 2013

Version City #8 - Marsha Hunt Sings Marc Bolan

Even in 1972, the Marsha Hunt LP 'Woman Child' was something of a holy grail for us T.Rex fans. It had only been released the previous year and we'd all read about it, but I didn't catch my first sight of a copy until I picked one up second-hand at the dawn of the 1980's. The reason we were all so excited was not just the three Marc Bolan tunes covered on the album, but also a fleeting, ghostly, cameo by the main man himself on a version of 'My World is Empty Without You', a hit for The Supremes in 1966.


'Woman Child' is a bit of a hodgepodge, drawn together from sessions spread over three years, helmed by as many producers and featuring guest artists ranging from Pete Townshend to the Count Basie Orchestra. It does have some great moments though, not least a rambunctious romp through the re-titled, pre-Tyrannosaurus Rex Bolan composition, 'Hot Rod Poppa'.


(For a deeper look at 'Woman Child' and more tunes from the album, check out this excellent piece.)

8 comments:

The Swede said...

(From Singing Bear)
Fascinating stuff. I've never knowingly heard this album but the odd thing is that I can recall hearing about Marsha Hunt way, way back in the 70's and have never, until this day, had another thought about her. I find it astounding how these things can come spinning back out of nowhere after such a long time. Thank you, sir.

The Swede said...

Sorry Mr Bear, I somehow managed to delete your comment! I must turn this moderate thing off.

I'm glad you enjoyed the tunes. I believe Ms Hunt has an autobiography available which I must check out. She was on the scene at a very interesting time.

Old Pa's Corner said...

One for the serious fan, quite liked the cover of the Supremes, I can imajine at the time it would have been like finding the 'holy grail' like when I first got my hands on the 'The Great White Wonder' if you handed me a bar of gold it would not have had the same impact.

The Swede said...

Old Pa. I well remember stumbling upon my first Dylan & Clash bootlegs down Portabello Road and on Camden Market. I was sweating and shaking as if I was involved in a major drugs transaction! Where and when did you pick up GWW? Have you blogged about it?

Old Pa's Corner said...

Yes good idea for a post...got it in 1970 the same day I saw 'Don't Look Back' in Glasgow, they were playing it before the film. Afterwards gor talking to the guys responsible for bringing the film and he had a few copies to sell. It was like being handed some stardust.

Anonymous said...

Hi chaps. The sad thing about bootlegs now is that the music is, by and large, so easy to get hold of that I think they have lost their former magic. Mind you, it's nice to have access to the music without having to pay out tons of dosh. What do you think? Do you think there's an argument for saying we have TOO MUCH music now?

Old Pa's Corner said...

I agree totally with SB ever since Napster the magic of going to a record store has sadly gone. I remeber wishing for payday so i could by 1 or with a push 2 LPs. I new every word every scratch every hiss. The art work was important too. Now everything is avaiable and the magic is gone. I have just prepared a post for next week about my first Boot..with a little nudge for Mr S.

The Swede said...

I agree that a certain magic just isn't there anymore. The concept of ordering a record, then returning to the store a week later to collect it (if it was in stock!) seemed to become very old-fashioned almost overnight. That being said, the sheer wealth of music available for immediate discovery online is never-ending and it can be in your ears (purchased or streamed) instantly - although it certainly ain't the same without the artwork.

Looking forward to your post Old Pa, when perhaps we can return to this discussion?

Greatest Hits