Tuesday 6 January 2015

Flip It! #5 - Beat the Intro

Hanni El Khatib's 'Moonlight' is a real grower, that's for sure, but, until recently, growing in tandem with my enjoyment of the song was my frustration as to what exactly the brief 'dum dum dum dum' intro reminded me of.


Cue John Medd's perfectly timed post on RCA record sleeves (here). Ding! Light-bulb moment! In my mind's eye, I could immediately see my 14 year-old self flipping over his RCA 7" single of David Bowie's 'Diamond Dogs' to reveal 'Holy Holy' on the b-side. Check that 'dum dum dum dum' intro. Thanks for helping me put my mind at rest John.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Synchronicity or homage?
Whatever, 'Moonlight' is dead groovy.

C said...

It is dead groovy, isn't it? As is Holy Holy.

Lovely photo on your header too, TS!

The Swede said...

Hanni El Khatib's stuff is very good. I only came across his music a couple of months back, but he's already on his third LP. I'm playing his debut a lot at the moment - it's a cracker.

Anonymous said...

Been digging into him on YouTube tonight - some good stuff there.

george said...

It's probably about time I said something after browsing through for so long. And this an excellent song. Groovy indeed.

The Swede said...

Hello George. Thank you and welcome.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Hanni will be checked out later today but that is a retty good intro.
Does anybody use the word 'Groovy' these days??..only joking SB.

Greatest Hits