Wednesday 23 September 2015

Here's Johnny


John Lydon was interviewed on 6Music a couple of weeks ago and he was everything you always hope he'll be - witty, sharp, wry, knowing, mischievous, entertaining. Perhaps it was the questions he was asked or the mood he was in, but there was no trace of the narky bitterness that sometimes creeps into his conversations. I'm not sure that the latest LP, 'What the World Needs Now...', is quite as strong as 2012's comeback album, 'This Is PIL', but it does include what I reckon is Lydon's best 3½ minutes in over 25 years.


4 comments:

C said...

I wish I could say I liked the song but I'm sorry, it isn't working for me... just one of those things.. maybe I've just had enough of certain vocal inflections, I dunno! Thank you for the opportunity to hear it though - and I'm curious to see how he will come across on Piers Morgan's Life Stories on Friday too - always good value for money no matter what.

Anonymous said...

I've been enjoying hearing 'Trouble' every now and then on Radio 6, which is a nice kick up the bum. This one, for me, not so much. I suppose I still expect PIL to be all avant-garde and Can-like, which makes me a few decades behind the times, I suppose. What does John still have to be so pissed-off about? He's on Piers Morgan? Could be interesting but that would mean having to sit through that odious bugger as well.

The Swede said...

I don't know why, but I find this particular song oddly touching - perhaps because of the person who's singing it! It's been a long, long time since the fantastic 'Metal Box' and quite a long while since 'Album', the last LP I really rated by PIL. I've just liked the odd song since then.

Swiss Adam said...

I dunno. Undecided. At least he's taking things seriously again.

Greatest Hits