Wednesday 10 August 2016

Dust Is Everywhere - Sweep!

Monday is cleaning day here at Swede Towers. Mrs S tackles all the intricate stuff - the nooks, the crannies, the out of the way crevices and sundry cobwebby corners that I would otherwise surely miss - while my own main contribution to proceedings concentrates on somewhat larger brushstrokes, or, more precisely, vacuum-cleaner strokes. Yup, every Monday, for my sins, I'm charged with hoovering each room in the whole house, from top to bottom. When delegating this particular task to me several years ago, Mrs S justified her decision using very sound logic - there aren't many ways in which I can mess it up. She knows me so well.

I invariably sing while I work, dragging the vacuum-cleaner behind me, its howling motor drowning out my own peculiar vocal howling. I can latch onto any random tune that comes to mind, but more often than not, for the past few months at least, one particular track from 'Human Performance', the fifth LP by Parquet Courts, has been my full-time hoovering earworm and it's easy to see why.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of the best albums of the year. Swc.

Charity Chic said...

You've missed a bit in the corner there Swede!

The Swede said...

Swc: I'll go along with that.

Charity Chic: Have you been talking to Mrs S?

Swiss Adam said...

I hate hoovering. Hate it. Happy to iron or wash up but hate hoovering.

TheRobster said...

I'll take a good hoovering session over ironing any day of the week. I'm not bad at it either, even if I do say so myself.

Eric Gilliland said...

Excellent Song!

The Swede said...

Swiss Adam: I'm ok with hoovering. I get into the zone - very zen! Washing up every evening is my other main task in this house. The only time we ever dig out the iron is to give the table cloth the once over when we're expecting guests.

Robster: I always delay starting, I'll find any excuse to put off plugging in the hoover, but when I get into my stride, I like to think that I do a good job. Mrs S begs to differ, natch.

Eric: Cheers! It's a very good LP too.

Brian said...

Hi Swede. Love these guys... and so prolific. Really got into Light Up Gold and have stuck around ever since. They remind me of so many bands I have liked through the years all wrapped up in one wonderful package.

Doing the dishes is my thing. Listening to music or a ball game while scrubbing, my back turned around to the world... it's the best. Like you say, in the zone.

Old Pa's Corner said...

One of my favouite acts when I was at Latitude. Would you believe I fell asleep for a split secon next to a speaker. 4 days caught up with me. Great set 'tho.

Greatest Hits