Wednesday 6 February 2013

I Wanna Be Well

Mum would always say that when I was a kid, she was easily able to tell if I was genuinely unwell, or just trying to pull a fast one in order to get a day off school. If I was really ill I would simply take to my bed and sleep. And sleep. And sleep. In that regard I haven't changed a bit. On Sunday evening I went to bed a little off-colour and didn't re-emerge until mid-morning Tuesday, feeling as though I'd spent the previous 36 hours being trampled by a herd of elephants. A short period in an upright position was all I could manage, before I flaked out once again for a further 10 hours of sweating in snoozeville.

With the passage of time, however, two further telltale signs of actual, as opposed to feigned, illness have become apparent, alas 45 years too late to be of use to Mum.

 1) Music - I just can't listen to it if I have any vaguely flu-like symptoms running around my system. I occasionally allow the background chatter of Radio 4 to permeate my fevered dreams, but it's the only time in my life that I find music actually painful. 

2) Coffee - My love of the bean is well documented, but not when I'm sick, oh no. At that point, my beverage allegiance switches mysteriously, instantly and totally to Earl Grey Tea. Worryingly, it shows no signs of switching back just yet. 

It's Wednesday evening and this '48 hour' bug has long overstayed it's welcome. Now I wanna be well. (For obvious reasons I can't enjoy Da Bruddas right at the moment, but I trust you will.)


6 comments:

C said...

Oh NO - poor you. I do sympathise. I also know exactly what you mean about music - it seems to take on some kind of malevolent quality when I'm ill. Also food and drink I normally love - as with you and the coffee - taste completely different. (I may have to post something about this myself some time, there are some details there you've just reminded me of from past 'flu experiences!)
Anyway, in the meantime, tuck yourself up, stay warm and keep drinking the Earl Grey... The Ramones will keep.

Anonymous said...

These bug things can just feel so devastating, I know. I do hope you're getting better and will be able to enjoy The Ramones and the whole universe of sound again soon.
'Take care of your health and get plenty of rest', so someone said.

Old Pa's Corner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Old Pa's Corner said...

Oh you poor thing! what you need is a large doze of Tune Doctor washed down with a nice cup of coffee! Get well soon. Good that you recognised Mr Reg, I should have done the same, he did some great tunes and he made our hearts sing!!

John Medd said...

Hope you're back in the saddle soon.

The Swede said...

Thanks for the good vibes all. I'm getting there. What a waste of a week!

Greatest Hits