Monday 19 May 2014

Version City #26 - The Clash sing Sonny Okosun

If you'd've come round to my house in late 1978, chances are that one of the records on my turntable would've been 'Fire in Soweto' by Nigerian artist Sonny Okosun. It was a staple. So imagine my surprise (albeit 26 years later) to discover that The Clash demoed the very same song, retitled 'Where You Gonna Go (Soweto)', the following summer, for possible inclusion on 'London Calling'. A poor quality recording of that demo appeared on the 25th Anniversary edition of the album in 2004.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now, I consider myself to be quite a big fan of 70's roots reggae but I have NEVER heard this before. What!? Really great. Must track it down. Love the fanfare synth opening and closing, too.

Erik Bartlam said...

That is lovely and will be in the rotation.

The Swede said...

I'm glad you both enjoyed this old favourite of mine. I can't help but wonder what The Clash might have made of it, had they nailed a definitive version. (And what on Earth would they have dropped from the 'London Calling' running order to accommodate it?)

Old Pa's Corner said...

You are buzzing TS I have not heard this either and for lsck of better vocabulary this is also bloody brilliant.

Greatest Hits