Wednesday 26 April 2017

Low Chimes


On January 1st 2013, in my first post of that year, I raved about Hot Feet, a band I'd then only recently discovered and featured the wonderful title track from their debut EP, 'Wood House' (it still sounds as sublime as ever, check it out here). The EP was released in November 2012 and was eventually followed by a further EP, 'Mist is Dust', in October 2014. After that, it all went a bit quiet. The Hot Feet moniker was quietly dropped and a new one, Low Chimes, was adopted. Then, last year, crowdfunding feelers were put out among the faithful on the band's mailing list, to gather resources for a debut full length LP. I'd been so impressed with the EP's and the concert I'd seen Hot Feet perform in 2013 that I gladly shelled out a few quid to help them along the way. The LP, 'Illumine', finally sees the light of day in the Autumn, but the first single, 'Sleepwalking' arrived a couple of weeks ago and this, along with their recent superb 6Music session (here) has already convinced me that it was money well spent.

9 comments:

Rol said...

I like the mix of fuzzy guitar with such angelic vocals. Not sure I've heard that particular mix before; it works well.

C said...

As Rol says, an unusual mix, I like it.
Vocally, visually and melodically this also reminds me a lot of Jenny Hval and Rockettothesky (posted a couple of tracks on SDS in the distant past but had forgotten about her until hearing this so thanks!)

Anonymous said...

Love it. Not come across them in either guise but her very fine vocal and the melody line reminds me of things from classic British folk/folk-rock over a contemporary backing. Will certainly be checking them out. I can see why Hot Feet may have had to be laid aside as a moniker - puts me in mind of the dance troupes that one might find on early 70s tea-time pop shows. Good move.

The Swede said...

Rol. Glad you enjoyed the tune, they're a fine band.

C. I'm only vaguely familiar with Jenny Hval - will have to investigate further.

Singing Bear. I believe you left the only comment on my original Hot Feet post all those years ago! Apparently they dropped the name Hot Feet because Googling it threw up all sorts of foot fetish sites!

Anonymous said...

Wow. Well, I'm sorry I forgot about them! Don't tell me I slagged them off?? I'll go check.

Brian said...

Hmm, I know I have come across Hot Feet somewhere... Kidding. This is really good, Swede.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Well sounds very folky vocals Pentangle maybe, but love the backing...interesting find TS

George said...

Another very fine tune. If the album is like this it will be well worth purchasing. You'll have to remind me when the album is finally out, I'll never remember from now until september (I can hardly remember what I had for tea last night.....)

The Swede said...

Fear not George, I have a feeling I'll be banging on about the album a fair bit when it finally hits the streets.

Greatest Hits