Friday 14 April 2023

Friday Photo #40

Well what are the chances? Deep into the second half of a lifetime devoted to music, with a significant amount of those years enjoying the odd beer or two, I wind up in a little Suffolk market town where the local brewery is run by a pair of music obsessed brothers who combine both of those passions with the naming of their products. Step forward Bull of the Woods brewery (itself taken from the title of a 1969 13th Floor Elevators LP), whose front door is just 3 miles from my own. Their range of beers includes Twisted Wheel (named after the famed Northern Soul club), Shine a Light (from the Rolling Stones tune), Vapour Trail (after the 1991 Ride EP), festive ale Season of the Witch (from Donovan's hit of the same name), Woodstock (say no more) and an oatmeal stout called Black Ark, so monikered in tribute to Lee Scratch Perry's legendary recording studio. They're all really really great beers across the board, but, if you pinned me to the wall, demanding that I choose my favourites, I'd have to go for Hacienda, a highly gluggable 4% pale ale and Rocksteady, a malty, caramelly 3.8% session ale, both of which slip down an absolute treat. I'm working up a thirst just typing about them.

Today's photo finds me in the beer garden of my local, nursing a sublime pint of Rocksteady. All being well, that's where you'll also find me the day after tomorrow, for an hour or so at least. Excitingly, Sunday is the day that Bull of the Woods are due to launch a brand new golden ale, brewed exclusively for this very pub. I can think of worse ways to celebrate my 63rd birthday.

Alton Ellis - Rocksteady

13 comments:

Alyson said...

Love Alton Ellis - discovered him when trying to find a new "Breaking Up" song to accompany a short story and he has a wonderful one.

Not sure if it's just me but it looks as if you've changed your banner header and look, but I can't see the words any more. Might just be a glitch.

The Swede said...

Thanks Alyson. I wondered what the hell was going on when I initially checked in! It should all be visible now though...hopefully!

Rol said...

Happy birthday for Sunday, Swede. Hope the sun shines and you can sit out in the beer garden.

Charity Chic said...

I'm considering emigrating!
Happy birthday when it comes

Alyson said...

Ah, that's better and really interesting words too. A brewery that combines two of your favourite things.

Happy birthday for Sunday - the numbers are getting a bit out of control aren't they and I'm not far behind you. Let's not mention them any more and stay ageless.

PS Didn't really get the significance of the Rocksteady song earlier without the words although I did listen to it. Makes total sense now.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, TS.
Pictures of pump clips, please!

JM

Khayem said...

Ah, I wondered what was going on when I first visited on Friday! Great post, TS, I’ll look out for this brewery. I love a stout and I love dub boo Black Ark sounds right up my street. Best wishes for your birthday, it’ll be brilliant.

Anonymous said...

I’ll be raising a glass in your honor, but I’m sure mine won’t be as tasty as the concoctions you describe. All the best, Swede. - Brian

Khayem said...

boo *too*

Walter said...

Happy birthday Swede! Have a good one and I will raise in your honor but as Brian said, mine won't be as tasty as yours.
Cheers my friend

Ramone666 said...

Congrats & cheers mate!

C said...

Sorry to be so late with this, I never saw your post in my feed and have only just come across it! Hope you had a lovely birthday. Love the beer names, some delightfully left field ones there. Perfect for your tastes in every way!

(And apologies if this comment comes up twice, I tried to post it just now and it disappeared so trying again.)

The Swede said...

Many thanks for all your birthday wishes guys. A couple of pints were duly consumed!

Greatest Hits