Friday 24 August 2018

One Year Ago

A year ago tomorrow, I finally got off my arse. After 30 years at the coalface of customer service, 28 of those in some form of management position, I walked away in 2011 and spent the next 6 years clicking about online, trying unsuccessfully to make a living. The break was only ever meant to be a stopgap to allow me to get over Mum's death and de-stress, but time drifted by. Last Summer, I bagged a temporary position at our local supermarket. Four 4 hour shifts per week, just about enough to cover the monthly bills. My first day was August 25th. The job is very straightforward and was immediately enjoyable. I replenish stock, handle reductions & waste and generally assist customers. Within weeks my hours were substantially increased and my contact was amended to a permanent position. Now I not only cover bills, but also chip away at a few debts and can afford the odd treat - usually in the form of music or artisan coffee. Crucially, I have no responsibilities. I go in, work bloody hard for 8 or 9 hours, then go home. It's bliss. My boss's boss approached me a couple of months ago to commend my work ethic and gauge my long term ambitions within the company. 'I'm 58' I replied. 'I'm working with nice people and doing a job I genuinely enjoy. At this point in my life, what more is there?'

'The Future Past' by Fanatism is one of my more recent treats. The Stooges meet Ennio Morricone while listening to Can.....in Sweden. It's the debut LP from a band that includes members of Kungens Män and Automatism, other firm favourites of this parish. Dig in and enjoy.

12 comments:

Swiss Adam said...

Sounds like you got it sorted Swede. I've been having thoughts for some time about changing my work/life. The main drag is the mortgage. Rock 'n' roll.

Brian said...

Love this, Swede. The music ain't bad either. Happiness is all that matters.

Alyson said...

It wasn't just me then! Sometimes you just have to walk away don't you but don't let them talk you into to taking on a managerial position, which I can see will happen. If you feel you've got the balance right, stick with it.

C said...

Lovely to read this, TS. It's refreshing just to do something that doesn't have to be all about ambition or power or money, but just offers the happiest, easiest, least complicated life - perfect. Sadly I don't think enough people give credit to this way of thinking, particularly in this part of the world, with far too much emphasis on 'status' - such an empty, shallow thing. It's what's inside that brings the true riches.

John Medd said...

Kudos to you TS.

George said...

"The Stooges meet Ennio Morricone while listening to Can.....in Sweden. "
Great description, how could anyone fail to like this?

George said...

..it's going on the list!

Rol said...

You are living the dream, and I say that in all sincerity.

Oh, and "usually in the form of music or artisan coffee" - what else is there?

The Swede said...

The day after writing this post, my manager collapsed and is going to be off work long-term, with a stress related condition. I'm well aware that I'm in a very lucky position. We're mortgage-free and live, what must seem to others, an almost comically frugal lifestyle. Coffee and music - that's just about all I need!

Anonymous said...

Wish I had the courage to take the plunge and change what I’m doing but mortgage and kids

I love to hear this kind of thing, people being happy with what they do. I was once asked at one of my End of Year review why I didn’t have ambition, meaning stepping up to a management position. I asked what was wrong with wanting to do my job to the best of my abilities but my not wanting the manager status did not seem to compute with my colleague.

The Swede said...

To show a lack of ambition in my previous job would have been considered career suicide - a completely ridiculous situation. But I've been there and done that. It's somebody else's turn now.

Rickety Rackety said...

You have the right attitude to work - if you enjoy it, get in, get it done and feel free. Ambitions at 58? Time changes one's ambitions, don't you think? I'm 58 next month and it's time for a a rethink - not that I have had any re-world 'ambitions' for a long time! - you have given me pause for thought. Always love the music, of course.

Greatest Hits