Monday 25 July 2022

Monday Long Song







I've felt a little all at sea these past couple of weeks. The small pile of records I picked up while in Edinburgh last month (including one generously gifted by our mutual chum Charity Chic) sit untouched and unplayed upstairs, awaiting my eventual attention. Half a dozen books lay scattered around the place, each with just a few pages thumbed through. It seems my powers of concentration have taken themselves off on an extended summer holiday. What do I traditionally do in these circumstances? I walk. But even this innocent activity has been curtailed somewhat in the recent blistering heat. 

The music I have been playing around the house is lengthy and largely instrumental - tunes to get lost in. Like this piece from Miles Davis, which was recorded on the final day of the 'In a Silent Way' sessions in February 1969, but bafflingly remaining unreleased until 2001. 'The Ghetto Walk' is a dense, humid, eerie meander of a thing, stifling and oppressive, much like several of my own recent local wanderings, photographic evidences of which are attached.

Miles Davis - The Ghetto Walk

11 comments:

Ernie Goggins said...

You seem a thing for scenic footbridges. Me too.

Ernie Goggins said...

I missed out the words "to have" between "seem" and "a thing". The inability to concentrate is obviously catching

The Swede said...

Footbridges abound around these parts, in whichever direction I choose to head. The river virtually runs past my front door and its many tributaries, cuts and creeks criss-cross the local landscape. You're dead right though, I do have a particular liking for scenic or unusual footbridges, not to mention long straight footpaths disappearing into the distance.

George said...

I've just started playing this track, and am wondering if I can make it all the way to the end.

George said...

.......done it! I lost interest after ten minutes, though, it seemed to meander for the next 6 minutes, before finding some sort of rhythm. I'm thinking of splitting into two tracks, excising that middle section.........

The Swede said...

Nice one George! Thanks for sticking with it. The meandering nature of the tune is the one of the best things about it!

C said...

Sorry to hear you've been feeling all at sea and unable to concentrate. I don't think this weather helps, and perhaps there's a little of the aftermath of our Edinburgh adventure in there too, as I've had a restlessness (hence my inability to blog again lately). Hopefully fresher weather will bring us all a psychological freshness too.
Gorgeous photos, though - you take such striking shots of places that might seem quite mellow and not especially outstanding to someone with less of an eye for it - I love the way all these views lead us somewhere, and we're left wondering what's just out of sight.

George said...

........re the meandering, it was an interesting background to the peeling and eating of a grapefruit.

Charity Chic said...

It looks like you live in a lovely part of the world Swede

Rol said...

Lovely photos, Swede. Hope the mal de mer passes soon.

The Swede said...

C: Thanks for your encouraging words. These are all quick shots taken with my phone, I'd love to treat myself to a half-decent camera one day, but really can't justify it at the moment. I do like a good footpath disappearing into the distance though - my Instagram posts of my local wanderings are full of them! (At first I quickly read your comment and thought you wrote that the cooler weather might bring us all a psychedelic freshness! Made me laugh!)

George: Haha...I'm glad it helped!

CC: Off-road it can get a bit soggy underfoot in the winter, but right now is the perfect time for aimless ambling - when it isn't 34° anyway!

Rol: I sat down and played a couple of those Edinburgh purchased albums on Tuesday afternoon and thoroughly enjoyed them. Hopefully that's a sign that the fog is lifting.

Greatest Hits