Friday 15 March 2024

Friday Photo #60


Maud, my Maternal Grandmother (Nan), was born in Stratford in the East End of London on January 19th 1893, 131 years ago. She passed away two days before my 16th birthday in 1976. Here Nan is pictured standing between two of her sisters in the early 1920s. On the left of the photo is Beatrice, known to me over 40 years later as emphysema ridden Aunt Beat, who was born in 1897 and died in 1974. To the right is Caroline, Aunt Carrie to me, who enjoyed the longest life of the three sisters, born in 1892 and passing away in 1979. There appear to have been at least a further three siblings in the family, including another sister lost in infancy and a brother Sidney, killed in France during the First World War at just 22 years of age.


This second photo, from the late 1960s, shows (left to right) Beatrice, Carrie and Nan as I knew them.

5 comments:

Ernie Goggins said...

You wouldn't want to be bashed by one of those handbags if you stepped out of line.

Rol said...

Another fascinating snapshot into the past. Keep 'em coming, Swede.

John Medd said...

That's a well kept step, can I just say.

JM

C said...

Wonderful. I love how modest people look in these old photos too, not a pouty pose between them!

The Swede said...

Thanks guys. That's Aunt Carrie's doorstep in the photo John, so I can't speak for her cleaning regime, but Nan was out every Saturday morning, kneeling on an old tea cosy and scrubbing her doorstep until it positively sparkled.

Greatest Hits