Saturday 16 December 2017

A Word in Your Ear


Since last Sunday, I've been mostly laying in a pool of sweat, in bed or on the sofa, as I struggle with a heavy feverish cold. I managed to drag myself into work for a couple of 4 hour shifts, though I'm not too sure how much actual help I've been. I'm one of the lucky ones, however. A number of poor souls at the store have gone down with the Winter vomiting virus, something that sounds the very antithesis of fun. I've got an 8 hour shift to get through today, days off Sunday & Monday to shake this thing once and for all, then it's non-stop work until Christmas Day.

When I'm feeling this rough, all the things I really enjoy doing go out the window - reading, writing, listening to music and drinking coffee. I have no concentration or appetite for any of 'em. I did manage to make a little mental space for the latest A Word in Your Ear podcast the other day though. Last month's AWIYE featured an excellent interview with the stately Robert Forster. This month couldn't have been more different, as the guest was the Zelig-like raconteur Danny Baker. It's a 90 minute listen that I'd recommend to anyone - you don't need to get all of the cultural references. Several times, I laughed until I very nearly choked. Then, in the very last few minutes, I cried like a baby. It's wonderful stuff and it's free.

Have a listen.


11 comments:

Chris said...

Get well soon Swede. Not long until Christmas so something to look forward to

John Medd said...

Get well soon my friend. Yes, Hepworth and Baker are next up on the roster.

C said...

Mr SDS and I are so sorry to hear that you're suffering. We hope you make a quick recovery now and will get the benefit of fully functioning taste-buds come Christmas Day!
Take care and all the best with the busy working week ahead.

Swiss Adam said...

All the best from round here too.

Marie said...

I don't know how you managed to last through that 4-hour shift, Mr. S, and it sounds like today's will be even tougher. You've a brave soul!

I'm hoping the next couple of days, under the watchful eyes of Mrs. S, will see you on the road to recovery.

Sending good wishes your way . . .

Alyson said...

So sorry to hear you're not well - The downside of mixing with lots of people at this time of year. Get well soon.

As for Mr Baker, he is always appreciated so will try and make time for his podcast in the coming week.

Unknown said...

Stirring stuff from Danny Baker. Hope you get well soon.

Brian said...

It was all of that holiday music, wasn’t it? Get better, Swede.

The Swede said...

Thank you for the words of comfort kind people. Colds usually whizz through my system within 48-72 hours, but this blighter has really got its claws stuck in.

Rickety Rackety said...

Hope you're feeling brighter. Had similar myself last week. Ugh. Must catch that podcast. Love Danny Baker. Good guy.

JC said...

Danny Baker's three volumes of autobiography are wonderful reads. And you can't help but here his voice in your head narrating each and every word!

Greatest Hits