Wednesday 21 August 2019

My Words Just Fail

There's been a lot of stuff going on lately, some happy stuff, some sad stuff and I'll get back to all that in due course with any luck. Right at this moment though, at the very moment I'm typing these words on Wednesday morning, in a hospital somewhere in Essex, one of the few close friends I have is on an operating table undergoing open heart surgery following a sudden illness and a period in a medically induced coma. The rest of us are left reeling at this sudden and terrifying turn of events and send out all our love to his wife and family. All we can do is sit and wait for news.

Inevitably, I find myself sifting through memories of our 40 year friendship in search of any excuse to smile and my mind comes to rest on my 23rd birthday party, a surprise bash thrown for me by the gang. It was a long and glorious evening, one of the oft-recalled highlights being my mate's uncharacteristic 6 minute wig-out to the 12" mix of The Jam's 'Precious'. As soon as the tune started he stood up from the table where we were all eating a meal and spontaneously went for it, big style - totally on his own. Shapes were thrown and the rug was cut - he was a veritable one man Pan's People. At the song's conclusion he simply pulled his chair in and plonked himself back down at the table, leaving us all in a state of slack-jawed hysterics. It's one of those 'you had to be there' memories that still gets pulled out from time to time, on the all-too-rare occasions a few of the old gang find ourselves in the same room. I look forward to chuckling about it again with him soon.

The Jam - Precious (12")

12 comments:

Charity Chic said...

Hope your pal pulls through Swede

Walter said...

All the best to your mate Swede. hope you can share your memories with him very soon.

C said...

So sorry to hear that your dear friend is going through this - sending very best wishes. A fantastic memory to share, though, and wonderfully told; I could picture it.

drew said...

All the best to your mate Swede. I hope all ends up well.

Martin said...

All the best to your mate - he knows a tune when he hears one.

John Medd said...

Sending best wishes from all at Medd Towers.

Brian said...

My thoughts are with you and your pal. A nice memory and a great song. I have this 12" with the striped sleeve and the live take of A Town Called Malice as the other A side. I bet it has been played hundreds of times. Gonna pull it out tonight and send good vibes your way.

Adam Turner said...

All the best to him and you Swede. As Good a song to freak out to as any.

The Swede said...

The overnight news is good. My mate is awake, but groggy and is now the proud owner of brand new mitral and aortic valves. Early indications for a full recovery are good.
Thank you all so much for the positive vibes.

Alyson said...

Good to see your update and hear that your friend is doing well.

Yes, sometimes the music just gets inside you and shapes have to be thrown. Happy memories as you say.

Rol said...

I learnt today that an old friend of mine has just come out of hospital after a suspected heart attack with complications. Best wishes to your old pal. We need to hold onto them.

Chris said...

Wish your friend all the best. Great story about The Jam song

Greatest Hits