Wednesday 2 September 2020

Straight To The Copycat Head


Much to my astonishment, the moment lockdown began easing, my estate agent called to arrange viewing appointments for Swede Towers. I'd naively assumed  that the last thing anyone would want to do would be to walk around a house that had been occupied throughout the whole period, but I was wrong and in the first couple of weeks I welcomed over a dozen masked and sanitised visitors into my home. It's a quirky place as I've mentioned before and so not suitable for everyone, but in due course an offer came in. It was substantially lower than I'd hoped for, though generally realistic given the age and condition of the place. Long story short, I accepted the offer and immediately went out and found a new gaff for myself. All that was a couple of months ago and, while the legal machinations rumble on, I've been steadily packing my life into cardboard boxes ever since. It's easy to get distracted from the endless endeavour, as I did the other day when rifling through the hundreds of old anonymous photos I still appear to possess, in spite of several, supposedly thorough, clear-outs. It's easy to see why I kept this one though - both amusing and slightly unsettling at the same time.

The appropriately titled soundtrack is provided by a sweet tune on the Bangarang rythm courtesy of the mighty King Tubby & the Aggrovators, which originally appeared as the flipside of  Derrick Morgan's 1975 single 'The Original Watering Man'.

King Tubby And The Aggrovators - Straight To The Copycat Head

9 comments:

Walter said...

Good to hear that you finally got rid of your home and start at a new place. Hope everything else is well. A great song by the way.

C said...

Congratulations, and wishing you all the best with the moving process, a new chapter beckons. That photo is brilliant... the cover of an obscure '70s experimental band's debut album, surely?!

John Medd said...

I don't mind telling you that photo has totally freaked me...

The Swede said...

I've been holding this one back for a while and on the very morning I post it I get a call from my solicitor - more questions, more problems, more expense. It's interminable. Meanwhile, I keep packing.

Alyson said...

What a weird image that is - Guessing it's not people you know and although I understand how it's been taken, it does freak me out a bit. Perfect song choice.

Looking at your latest comment it seems the house sale is not as straightforward as you'd like it to be - Always the same with an older house though and you'll get there in the end. Be patient and have faith.



Swiss Adam said...

Glad you're getting it sold and can move on. Great photo and tune. The perfect post.

Brian said...

The photo and song does work well together, doesn't it? Sorry for your housing troubles, but it does sound like you're nearing the conclusion you desire. Hang in there. We will be thinking of you.

Rol said...

Love the photo. I hope the new house is the new start you need, Swede. We've just accepted an offer on ours so will be moving (again!) soon... I'll probably explain why in due course, but much as I hate moving house (and have done it far too often in recent years) it's a necessary evil.

The Swede said...

Thanks for the moral support guys, it's much appreciated.

Greatest Hits