Wednesday 25 August 2021

RIP Charlie

One weekend, more years ago than I care to remember (somewhere around 1985-ish I reckon), I was back in Ipswich staying with Mum and Dad. On Saturday evening I'd driven from my Essex base, where I was the manager of a record shop located within a shopping centre, dropped off my car and dirty washing at home and twisted Dad's arm to cadge a lift into town so I could meet a group of friends at the pub. Some hours later, after a riotous evening of imbibing, we said our goodnights and headed off for our respective homes. There were no night buses and my parents lived a two mile wayward stagger out of town. It took an eternity. 

On Sunday morning when I stumbled downstairs for coffee and cereal, Mum told me that there was a car-boot sale round in the hospital carpark. I put on some shades, pulled myself together and ambled the short distance to where the event was already in full swing. I couldn't really concentrate, had a thumping hangover and was about to head back home for more coffee when I spotted a large pile of LPs laying flat on the tarmac, one on top of the other. I flicked through a few before spotting a real good 'un that helped to clear my foggy head pronto - 'Gris-Gris' by Dr John, which I promptly stuck under my arm. Moving down the pile it quickly became apparent that this was an extraordinary bunch of records to find at a car-boot sale even then, some of which joined Dr John under my arm ('Fire on the Bayou' and 'Trick Bag' by The Meters, Cream's first album, 'I Feel It' and 'Don't You Want to Go?' by The Meditation Singers (both US imports on Checker), a Japanese pressing of 'Oh Yeah' by Charles Mingus and one or two others). Quite near the bottom of the stack and perilously close to a puddle, I came to a copy of 'Beggars Banquet' by The Rolling Stones. It was one of those hairs on the back of the neck moments as I looked more closely - the sleeve was signed by the whole band. Desperately trying to remain calm, I slid 'Beggars' into the middle of my pile of LPs and waved at the stallholder for a price. I got the lot for less than a fiver.

-------------------------

We lost Charlie Watts yesterday and, even though he was 80 and in shaky health, it still hurts a lot. Both Mick and Keith have regularly acknowledged what an absolutely fundamental figure he is to the band and one wonders where they can possibly go from here. In this clip of 'All Down the Line' from 2006, the camera stays on Charlie for the entire performance. If you're not fussed about hearing the song, skip forward to his expression at the 4.35 mark - it's priceless.

Rest easy Charlie. 

6 comments:

Swiss Adam said...

Wow- quite a haul at the car boot sale. I should think your copy of Beggars Banquet is a) rare and b) valuable.

RIP Charlie.

C said...

Love this story. What a cure for a hangover! I'm intrigued too by the message scrawled amid the autographs which looks like "Pour la tea lady" and find myself wondering if the record was a gift for a (French) woman who served them some beverages... maybe she wasn't really a fan, and would actually rather have had a tip instead - hence the reason it ended up in that pile?! I guess we shall never know!
















Charity Chic said...

And I thought picking up The White Album for a pound was a good bit of business!

Walter said...

What a wonderful story, Swede and as C. said a pure gift for a hangover. Sadly never had the luck to get a gem like this.

Alyson said...

That was quite a find - Can understand why you slipped it straight into the middle of the pile.

I've been surprised at how moved I've been by the death of Charlie. We find out so much about someone after they pass from the tributes and I've loved reading the ones about Charlie. Great expression as you say at the end of the clip - He was well and truly jiggered.

Brian said...

Love the stories about your finds, and this one is a doozy. I agree with Alyson about the Charlie remembrances. The suave Stone really was the cool one too.

Greatest Hits