Monday 4 April 2022

Monday Long Song


Covid re-entered my workplace three weeks ago and has spent the time since cutting a swathe through the store. The staff have been dropping like flies. Fortunately most cases have been at the milder end of the spectrum, but several have been knocked sideways by it, suffering all kinds of unpleasantness. Those of us who've mercifully remained thus far untouched by the virus have been putting in extra hours in order to try and keep the shelves filled. Approximately 200 of us work at the gaff in total, though lately there have been times when it's felt distinctly like the Mary Celeste. There just aren't enough healthy pairs of hands to get the work done. I mention all this only to explain the recent virtual radio silence from my end. A long overdue catch up with my Aunt in London this past weekend had to be postponed too, as I worked throughout. Hopefully another week or so should see staff levels returning to something approaching normal and I can reschedule a visit for later in the month. 

Although I'd obviously much rather so many of my co-workers weren't under the weather, I can't deny that the substantial overtime is financially welcome, following my own lengthy period on the sick with shingles over Christmas. Speaking of which, while I was laid up and laid low, the last thing I felt like doing was shaving - so I didn't. And I never started again. Right about now I'm in week 20 or so with yer actual beard, I've not trimmed or tidied it at all and it's beginning to get pretty wild in the chin area. I'm not exactly sure where I go next with it to be honest, in fact I'm not even 100% certain that I like having a full beard at all (I've only ever sported the occasional goatee before now), but what I've discovered I really do like (a lot) is not having to shave. 

7 comments:

C said...

Sorry you had to postpone your catch-up with your Aunt and that you've had so much work but good to know you haven't succumbed to Covid. I'm starting to feel a certain inevitability about getting it at some point, but would certainly rather not have the experience... fingers crossed for those of us yet to become a statistic!
As for the beard - I can only imagine what a drag it must be shaving every day but get how liberating it must be to ditch that particular ritual. And I'm sure it suits you very well! If it gets to Dusty Hill/Billy Gibbons proportions I guess it might be time for a trim? Then again, could be a nice nesting option for the birds...

John Medd said...

I trust you'll be sporting it in Edinburgh? How does it affect the Swedey McSwedeface one wonders?

Alyson said...

We've been lucky enough not to get it yet but only a matter of time I feel. Just hope we're not stricken at an inopportune time with important social events now on the horizon.

Impressive beard (if it is yours and not from an album cover - I can be dense about these things). Might be a while 'til you get to ZZ Top proportions but must save lots of time.

Brian said...

If this is you above, I think C should use her talents to put the top of your head (that we have seen many times) with this bottom half. On second thought, there is something about the mystery that is the Swede that we all enjoy. Best of luck at work, pal.

Khayem said...

Best wishes for the postponed visit to your Aunt, cultivating your beard and navigating your way throughout the Covid spread and extra workload at the store. At my place, we don't seem to have recovered from the effects in the past year, with a consistent level of people out at any one time with Covid - or other bugs, because most people are either fatigued or have immune systems that have already taken a hammering,including previous bouts of C19.

I've tried beards in all styles but in retrospect I'm not sure that they worked for me: my last attempt at a full beard 30 years ago (!) now looks more Barry Gibb than I thought at the time.

Charity Chic said...

Is that Karl Marx in the picture?

The Swede said...

C: There are a great many at work who have contracted Covid twice and an ever increasing number who are on their third bout. I count myself very fortunate to have swerved it this far, but also think it's inevitable that my luck will run out eventually. The two factors I have in my favour in that regard are a) no kids & b) no social life. It'll no doubt get me in the end though.

John: As long as the beard and I don't have a falling out, we'll both be present and correct in June. The Swedey McSwedeface remains unaffected, until such time as the beard starts poking round the edges of an album sleeve.

Alyson: It's all mine and it's on a bit of a growth spurt at the moment, so it could get to ZZ Top proportions sooner rather than later!

Brian: Haha! A photoshop composite of my grey whiskers on a younger version of my face would be a hoot!

Khayem: In my mind the beard is Richard Manuel or Ronnie Drew, but in the mirror the evidence is tragically clear, it's more Kenny Rogers.

Charity Chic: It could eventually get to those proportions - it's growing outwards as speedily as downwards.

Greatest Hits