Friday 15 April 2022

Friday Photo #21


Tomorrow it'll be exactly 60 years since this photo was taken. It's the second in a series of annual birthday portraits taken of me in front of the family radiogram, a series that stretched until my 21st birthday in 1981 (see more examples here and here). The relatives must have been round, as I'm dressed in my best bib and tucker (the bow-tie was something of a fixture in the early days) and keen to show off my first ever bike....or more accurately trike. Dad was one of eight children so there were no doubt Aunts and Uncles aplenty on hand to spoil me rotten on my big day. Mum, like me, was an only child, but her own Mum, my dear old Nan, was probably not too far away from the action either. If you squint you might be able to make out an Easter Egg or two nestled among the birthday cards atop the radiogram, even though my second birthday actually fell a few days before the Easter weekend of 1962.This year it's the first time that my birthday has fallen on an Easter Saturday since the day I was born in 1960, having only coincided with that particular date on three other occasions in the 20th century, in 1927, 1938 and 1949.  

I'll be at work from 7 till 5 tomorrow, as the last minute rush to buy whatever Easter Eggs we have left reaches a no doubt chaotic and panic stricken crescendo. Then home for a chilled beverage or two in the evening.

12 comments:

Swiss Adam said...

Happy birthday Swede. Love the photo, natty outfit.

Charity Chic said...

Happy birthday Swede

TheRobster said...

Happy birthday and Happy Easter. Another great pic from your archive.

C said...

Such a happy dapper chappy! Love the old telly too.
Wishing you a very happy birthday for tomorrow.

Khayem said...

Happy birthday, I hope you have a great day (after work, at least) and weekend, for that matter.

I love these birthday posts and photos and thanks for prompting me to dust off The Very Best for a long overdue listen!

John Medd said...

Happy Birthday, TS. 62, eh? I hope you're still killing 'em at the hot club.

Walter said...

Happy belated birthday Swede. Once again a great picture. Hope you a great one yesterday.

Rol said...

Belated birthday wishes, Swede. Hope the beverages went down better than the Easter Eggs.

The Swede said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes all. In the end I was too wiped out to celebrate after work on Saturday evening, but enjoyed a couple of beers while sitting in the sunshine on Sunday afternoon instead. Very pleasant.

Martin said...

A belated happy birthday to you!

Alyson said...

A very belated happy birthday from me too. Great picture and love the bow tie. That radiogram was obviously the focal point of the room and why not, it looks very smart indeed.

The Swede said...

Thanks Alyson and Martin - I so wish I still had that radiogram!

Greatest Hits