Monday 15 June 2015

Retiree

Retiree's sound shares certain sonic similarities with the late great Arthur Russell and I'll admit that it was this that originally caught my ear. On closer inspection however, it becomes evident that the Australian four piece plough a particular, subterranean, avant-funk furrow all of its own. The terrific 'Gundagai' is taken from their forthcoming EP 'This Place', which follows up 2013's 'Together'. I've listened to little else all weekend.

Read more and pre-order 'This Place' here.




5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Breezy, cool (good for today's horrid humidity) and rather classy. Nice one.

Walter said...

Nice tunes to hang around. Gundagai is a great one and this voice and funky guitar leads me back to the 80s where they made similar sounds. But no idea strikes me to whom they remind me. Anyway, something to look after.

The Swede said...

I only heard them for the first time a couple of days ago, but they've really hit the spot. Hope they make it over to the UK for some dates.

Brian said...

Well, isn't that lovely. Completely new to me too. I don't know what's in the water down there... So many great bands.

george said...

Does Gundagai stand for something? After all, a few days ago we had Gygafo over at The Singing Bear's place. Particularly enjoyed the first track.

Greatest Hits