Monday 8 February 2016

Version City #51 - Charles Bradley sings Black Sabbath


I'm sorry if my presence around these parts has appeared a bit fleeting over the past few days. I seemed to achieve very little really, but somehow the week just ran away from me. One tune that did stop me in my tracks the other day though, was Charles Bradley's remarkable cover of Black Sabbath's 'Changes'. It's a song I know intimately from my days as a young, long-haired head-nodder, as the original appeared on my favourite Sabbath LP, 1972's 'Volume 4'. Bradley initially issued the song as a limited edition Record Store Day single in 2013, though has now wisely adopted it as the title track of his forthcoming album, scheduled for release in April.


7 comments:

Brian said...

No Time For Dreaming gets lots of plays around here. I'll be lining up come April. Thanks for the heads up.

Charity Chic said...

Charles Bradley has an amazing voice
Looking forward to listening to this later

George said...

That's one of the rare occasions when the cover version is better than the original. Tremendous, thanks for that. It's so good it's even better, just for today, than the two Fall tracks posted elsewhere.

Walter said...

It's a monster of a cover, Swede. Pure soul from the heart. Love this version a lot. Thank you for introducing it to me.

Anonymous said...

Really rather wonderful.

Spence said...

Well, sorry to be a dissenter here. Yup can agree that the track in itself is a decent soulified version, but... not much more than that. As for the accompanying video.. I'm sorry but this is overacting schlock in it's extreme surely? Sabbath's original is OK of its type, if a little overlong. Negative I know and I do love Sabbath but...there you are!

drew said...

absolute stonker of a version. This comes lose to matching the original.

Greatest Hits