Friday 27 October 2023

Friday Photo #54

 

With Mum's side of the family, I'm fortunate to have a well documented photographic trail to follow back through time, as far as the early years of the 20th century - Dad's much less so. Dad was one of seven children, but there are no photos of any of them in the family archive prior to their respective marriages in the 1950s. In my whole life I've only ever seen one photo of my paternal Grandfather, a man who was born in 1889 and passed away three months after I was born in 1960. From what I can gather he didn't attend the wedding ceremonies of any of his offspring, or if he did, he excused himself from the group photos, most of which I have copies of. There are precious few surviving images of my paternal Grandmother, Alice (1890-1967) and all of those were taken by my Dad in her later years. This is Alice in 1964. I have faint memories of her formidable presence at family gatherings, which was in stark contrast to the frailty of my maternal Grandmother.

2 comments:

Ernie Goggins said...

Great photo. She looks a bit like Grandma from the Giles' cartoons, although I don't believe the latter owned a summer dress.

John Medd said...

Ernie's onto something there; formidable yet tempered by striking resemblance to 70s cartoon strip. (Parallels with *my* childhood now you mention it.)

Greatest Hits