Friday 20 October 2023

Friday Photo(s) #53


You may be familiar with Anish Kapoor's 2006 sculpture Cloud Gate, situated in Millennium Park, Chicago. Due to its shape, the huge reflective piece quickly became referred to as The Bean. In February, mere weeks before I touched down in New York, Kapoor's 15 years in-the-making Big Apple version of The Bean was finally unveiled, located just a few hundred yards from my cousin's apartment. Where Cloud Gate stands unencumbered on prominent display, its Tribeca counterpart gives the impression of having been forcibly squished beneath a canopy in the entrance of a large residential building, spilling out across the sidewalk. I was keen to take a good look at the sculpture, but the area was very busy during my initial visit so I only managed to snatch a quick side angle shot from Leonard Street. On the Sunday morning, while on an an extended wander in search of coffee, I found Church Street practically deserted, allowing me to capture The Bean head-on. The imposing structure is 58ft long, 19ft high and cost an estimated $8-10 million dollars to create. 

Spoon - Me and the Bean  

5 comments:

John Medd said...

As you know, TS, I love anything like this. It's been a few years since I've been to NYC but I'm guessing there's stuff like this, installations etc. all over the city.

C said...

That's just mad! I can't honestly say if I like it or not, I sort of do but... It's compelling to look at, though, that's for sure, in which case I guess it has served its purpose very well!

The Swede said...

John: There's a lot of corporate art around, though this is piece located within a residential building (known locally as Jenga Tower because of its unusual shape towards the top). Rumour has it that Kapoor himself owns a $13 condominium within the property.

C: A friend of mine visited Chicago ten years ago and took a fabulous black and white photo of Cloud Gate, which he had blown up and now hangs on his wall. I like the juxtaposition between the original sculpture set in such a wide open space and the New York version which gives the impression of being crammed into a space too small to hold it.

Echorich said...

A perfect commentary of my birthplace. The city that make it work - somehow - and in doing strikes a cord.

Rol said...

Reminds me of the 50s horror film The Blob. I wouldn't get too close.

Greatest Hits