Tuesday 16 April 2013

It Was 50 (& 47) Years Ago Today....

In addition to the family tradition of the radiogram photo, every year on my birthday Dad did his best to capture my puffed cheeks as I blew out the candles on my cake, usually at a little party with friends or relatives. Here are two examples from the archives.


In 1963 I don't look 100% sure of what I'm supposed to be doing, although I clearly know that there is more food involved, judging by my tight grip on the cutlery.


By 1966, however, I'm an old hand at this candle blowing malarkey, demonstrating a polished technique and solid embouchure.

I won't be blowing any candles out today - it becomes too much of a fire risk after a certain age. Instead Mrs S & I will be celebrating my 53rd with a day at the coast, incorporating a pub lunch and leisurely walk.

Here's an audience recording of an appropriately titled traditional tune, dating back to the 17th century, from Nancy Wallace & Jason Steel. I was at this show in 2009 and regretfully it remains the only time I've seen either artist in concert. Nancy is surely long overdue for a new album, her solo debut, 'Old Stories', is a hugely recommended favourite of mine.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

A very happy birthday to you, sir. Lovely song.

C said...

Happy birthday! Enjoy your day. Hold on to that cutlery!

John Medd said...

MHROTD! J

The Swede said...

Thanks guys.

flycasual said...

Have an irie one Mr S!!

Old Pa's Corner said...

A belated Happy Birthday I am 64 next week...4 years retired can't believe it. Must check out the album recommendation.

Greatest Hits