Tuesday 3 December 2013

Saturday Scratch #32: Special Edition - R.I.P. Junior Murvin

Very sad to hear of the passing of the legendary Junior Murvin at the age of 64 (or 67 depending on which report you believe). Murvin recorded with a clutch of great Jamaican producers over the years, but it's his work with Lee Perry on 1977's seminal 'Police & Thieves' LP for which he'll inevitably be best remembered. Here, from those sessions, is 'Memories', the b-side of the album's second single, 'Tedious'.

4 comments:

C said...

I thought of you when I heard the news because of your Saturday Scratch series!
I also suspect that I'm not the only one who heard the Clash's version of Police & Thieves first (at least as far as I'm aware!) so I have them to thank for bringing him to my attention!
Good to hear something different from him too, and a fine tribute.

The Swede said...

Thanks C. He made so much great music in his life, yet all of the obits (including mine!) inevitably focus on the 'Police & Thieves' LP, which I guess goes to show what an important record it is and what a great team Murvin and Perry were at that moment in time.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sad to hear this news. One my favourite singers and a fine writer. 'Police and Theives' is a perfect album. RIP, sir.

Old Pa's Corner said...

Great tribute and can't recall hearing the track P&T is top album of course.

Greatest Hits