Wednesday 9 January 2019

Radio Radio


Over the weekend, I belatedly caught up with the Elvis Costello edition of Radio 4's Mastertapes on the BBC iPlayer. The whistle stop journey through a glittering career found Elvis in fine form after his recent health scare. Steve Nieve was also on hand to provide musical accompaniment and remind the world of his own particular genius. The full programme is here and seven uninterrupted performances from it can be found if you scroll down this page. Highly recommended.

Elvis Costello & the Attractions - Man Out of Time

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I didn't think I'd be able to listen to the BBC iPlayer in Canada, Mr. S, but it worked just fine. I'm thoroughly enjoying this program - thanks for the link!

By the way, I hope you received the email invite.

Martin said...

Great find, thanks, had missed this.

John Medd said...

Great to hear him revisit old masterpieces like Watching the Detectives. I've got a lot of time for young Dec, but, and maybe this is why I do have time for him, he doesn't always hit the target (I'm thinking of the beard years in particular). His aim isn't always true.

Brian said...

Costello & Nieve together is always a treat. The live box set of the duo that came out in '96 was something special. I'm going to pull that one out tonight. Man Out of Time was performed at one of the shows, but I seem to recall being most taken with the Long Honeymoon. I know it's tough to believe, but I'm enjoying a few songs on the new album, Look Now. It didn't make my best of 2018, but I at least considered it for a moment. It's been decades since I could even say that.

Rol said...

Excellent - I'll be checking that out.

The Swede said...

Marie. Glad you're enjoying the programme. It's a very interesting series, I think all the shows are still up on the iPlayer. I just checked through my junk folder, I haven't any emails from you.

Martin. Enjoy!

John. I see what you did there. Very good!

Brian. I really enjoyed the album he made with The Roots a few years back. This programme has encouraged me to dig back into 'Look Now'.

Rol. It's a fine way to spend an hour.

Stanley said...

Listened to this over the Xmas hols. Terrific show.

Greatest Hits