Friday 12 May 2017

Flotation Toy Warning


There are few bands as memorably monikered as Flotation Toy Warning. And there are few LP titles to match 'Bluffer's Guide to the Flight Deck'. But in the 13 years since I first clapped ears on this great album, I've yet to hear a better song title than 'Popstar Researching Oblivion'. Very few better songs either.

Flotation Toy Warning - Popstar Researching Oblivion

A ripple of joy passed through Swede Towers last week with the news that the band's (l-o-n-g awaited) second LP, 'The Machine That Made Us' is mere weeks away from release. Encouragingly the new record contains a track entitled 'Due to Adverse Weather Conditions All of My Heroes Have Surrendered', which can only be a good thing. Sadly that tune hasn't leaked yet, but here's one that has.

5 comments:

Rol said...

Thank you. Song titles like that are right up my street, even if the songs rarely live up to them. On emusic too, so I'll be downloading that first LP soon and listening out for the new one.

Anonymous said...

My word, never heard of 'em. Great name and cool titles. On this first listen I'd say they deserve some more attention. Will do some homework.

The Swede said...

'Popstar Researching Oblivion' isn't even the best track on the album - try the brilliant 'Donald Pleasance'. Better still, the whole LP is streamable on their Bandcamp page. https://talitres.bandcamp.com/album/bluffers-guide-to-the-flight-deck

George said...

Two good tracks. I like it when the promise of a good song title is met by a half-decent song.

Flying Spaghetti Monster said...

Excellent news! I remember hearing this band on heavy rotation on the great KEXP. Bought their 1st album and loved it. An instant classic.

Greatest Hits