Friday, 29 March 2019
Version City #72 - Robyn Hitchcock sings Carl Douglas
JC, our mutual friend and Blogfather of this little corner of t'internet, has once again done me the great honour of featuring an Imaginary Compilation Album of my curation over at his place today. This time around, the subject of my attention is the one and only Robyn Hitchcock, a man whose music I've been digging for a frankly terrifying amount of time - 40 years! As I note in the post, the ten songs selected only scratch the surface of such a long, prolific ongoing career and I have every intention of following up with a Volume 2 in the fullness of time. I'm off to catch an intimate show on his UK tour in a few weeks, so expect more Robyn related gubbins soon. Meanwhile, enjoy the ICA here plus this bonus cover version from the 1990 Anti-Poll Tax compilation 'Alvin Lives (in Leeds)'. Thanks again JC.
Robyn Hitchcock - Kung Fu Fighting
Labels:
Blogging Chums,
Carl Douglas,
Cover Versions,
ICA,
Robyn Hitchcock,
Version City
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Greatest Hits
-
Last week I took a bus over to the town I work in and walked home along country footpaths. I've done the jaunt before, more than once, b...
-
Somehow, don't ask me exactly how it happened, I seem to have reached the grand old age of 57. Last time I checked, I could've sw...
-
By way of a New Year's Resolution, a friend of mine pledged to read four books per month throughout the coming year. Another has set ...
-
Released 53 years ago today, 'Faust IV' was, remarkably, the band's third LP of 1973. I (along with many of my age group I suspe...
-
Yesterday evening saw the final ever Late Show with Stephen Colbert, following its cancellation by the CBS network. Colbert's tenure end...

3 comments:
Haven't visited JC's place yet today but delighted to hear that Swede
I really don't know how you did it, Swede... so many albums... so many songs... but you pulled it off. Hitchcock is a rare breed in that I think his material from the last decade is at least as good as his first. The two decades in between were damn good too. What a talent! I bet I'll be listening to him all weekend now.
That was my problem Brian - by the time I'd got to track 8 I was only up to 1996! So much great stuff to choose from after that too. I shall certainly return with Vol.2 one of these days.
Thank you both for your kind words.
Post a Comment